[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] Deferrals - Key questions / logic points in order to try to achieve consensus

Jonathan Robinson jonathan.robinson at ipracon.com
Sun Jun 24 07:25:25 UTC 2012

Key Questions / Issues

.         Do we permit 1st deferrals?

.         Do we require a reason / motivation for deferrals?

.         If a reason is required / provided, is it subject to any test?

.         Are 1st deferrals automatic or do we subject them to some form of
vote / test?

.         Can a deferral be overruled?  If so, what is the condition / test
to overrule?

.         Do we permit 2nd deferrals?

.         If we permit 2nd deferrals, do we subject them to some form of
vote / test?

.         Do we permit 3rd deferrals?

My Answers

.         Do we permit 1st deferrals?
Yes

.         Do we require a reason / motivation for deferrals?
Yes

.         If a reason is required / provided, is it subject to any test?
No, we trust the provider of the reason

.         Are 1st deferrals automatically granted or do we subject them to
some form of vote / test?
Yes, they are automatically granted

.         Can a 1st deferral be overruled?  If so, what is the condition /
test to overrule?
Yes, subject to a request from a councillor and a [supermajority] vote of
the council to deny

.         Do we permit 2nd deferrals?
Yes

.         If we permit 2nd deferrals, do we subject them to some form of
vote / test?
Yes, 2nd deferral requires a request from a councillor and a [supermajority]
vote of the council to permit

.         Do we permit 3rd deferrals?
No.  A motion should be voted on or withdrawn at this stage.
Note: I use "withdrawn" not "tabled" as tabled in my English, tabled means
put forward / submitted not withdrawn