AW: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc]

J. Scott Evans jscottevans at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 4 23:56:34 UTC 2012

I am fine with this.

j. scott evans -  head of global brand, domains & copyright - Yahoo! Inc. - 408.349.1385 - jscottevans at yahoo.com

________________________________
 From: "KnobenW at telekom.de" <KnobenW at telekom.de>
To: ray at goto.jobs; AAikman at lrlaw.com; marika.konings at icann.org; gnso-improvem-impl-sc at icann.org
Sent: Thursday, October 4, 2012 9:38 AM
Subject: AW: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc]

Thanks Marika!

Any further comments?
If not, I'll take this as basis for perhaps a concluding
discussion on the subject in Toronto.

See the agenda for the SCI meeting in Toronto as well as
the status table.

The suggested text resp. options for the various topics are as
follows. Re "Raising an issue" Ron has already opted for #1.

Deferral
of motions – Proposed Response

The SCI was
asked to consider the current GNSO Council informal practice whereby a party may
request the deferral of a motion to a later date in those situations where a formal process for a
deferral is not specifically provided (for example, certain deferrals are
foreseen as part of the GNSO PDP, see http://gnso.icann.org/council/annex-2-pdp-manual-16dec11-en.pdf). The SCI discussed this practice and whether there was a
need to create a procedure to formalize this informal practice. After much
debate, the SCI concluded that the current practice of allowing for the deferral
of motions was done as a matter of courtesy at the discretion of the Chair of
the GNSO Council.  For this reason, the SCI concluded that there was no
need to create a formal procedure at this time.  However, the SCI felt that
it was necessary to explicitly state that there is no rule that the Chair must
always exercise his or her discretion in the affirmative. Given that the current
informal practice is at the discretion of the Chair, the Chair can exercise that
same discretion in considering whether to grant or deny any request and can also
exercise his or her discretion when determining how to handle any specific
situation that may occur with regard to this informal
practice.

 ===============

Proposed Language to address suspending a PDP (modification in bold of
section 15 of the PDP Manual)

The
GNSO Council may terminate or
suspend* a
PDP prior to the publication of a Final Report only for significant cause, upon
a motion that passes with a Supermajority Vote in favour of
termination or
suspension. The
following are illustrative examples of possible reasons for a premature
termination or
suspension of
a PDP:
1.
Deadlock. The PDP Team is hopelessly deadlocked and unable to identify
recommendations or statements that have either the strong support or a consensus
of its members despite significant time and resources being dedicated to the
PDP;
2.
Changing Circumstances. Events have occurred since the initiation of the PDP
that have rendered the PDP moot, or no
longer necessary, or
warranting a suspension; or
3.
Lack of Community Volunteers. Despite several calls for participation, the work
of the PDP Team is significantly impaired and unable to effectively conclude its
deliberations due to lack of volunteer participation.
*
Suspension is a time interval during which there is a temporary cessation
of the PDP, i.e. all activities are halted upon a decision of the GNSO Council
until further notice. A mere change in milestones or schedule of the PDP is not
considered a suspension. [to be included as a footnote]^

===============

Raising an issue,
three possible approaches were identified during the last
meeting:
	1. Maintain  status quo - which means only  the GNSO Council or a group chartered by the GNSO Council can request an  item to be reviewed by the SCI. Possibly consider communicating to other  SO/ACs / individuals, that if there are issues they would like to see reviewed  by the SCI, that they will need to channel these via the GNSO Council and/or a  group chartered by the GNSO Council.
	2. Add the  possibility for other ICANN SO/ACs to make a direct request to the SCI – this would require a change  to the SCI Charter and would need GNSO Council  approval.
	3. Add the  possibility for any chartered group to make a direct request to the  SCI– this would require a change  to the SCI Charter and would need GNSO Council approval. Some also noted that  a definition of 'chartered' would be needed as it is not clear whether SO/ACs  are chartered.
Members
are encouraged to share their views on these three options and/or identify any
other options that should be considered to address this issue ahead of the next
meeting.

Best regards
Wolf-Ulrich

>________________________________

  Church Avenue • Tucson, Arizona 85701-1611
>Tel (520) 629-4428 • Fax (520)
  879-4725
>AAikman at LRLaw.com • www.LewisandRoca.com/Aikman
>P Please  consider the environment before printing this e-mail.
>This e-mail  contains legally privileged and confidential information
>intended only for
  the individual or entity named within the message.
>If the reader of this
  message is not the intended recipient, or the
>agent responsible to deliver
  it to the intended recipient, you are
>hereby notified that any review,
  dissemination, distribution or
>copying of this communication is
  prohibited.  If this communication
>was received in error, please
  notify us by reply e-mail and delete the original message.

(702)949-8200      Silicon Valley  (650)391-1380