[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] REMINDER: Actions from GNSO Council Wrap Up Session

Julie Hedlund julie.hedlund at icann.org
Mon Aug 5 17:17:41 UTC 2013

Dear SCI members,

This is a reminder of the actions from the GNSO Council Wrap Up Session that
we can discuss on our call tomorrow, Tuesday 06 August 2013 at 19:00 UTC for
1 hour (12:00 PST , 15:00 EST,  20:00 London, 21:00 CET).  In particular,
the GNSO Council discussed several issues relating to the SCI at its wrap up
session on Thursday, 18 July at the ICANN meeting in Durban.  See pages
52-59 in the transcript at:
http://durban47.icann.org/meetings/durban2013/transcript-gnso-wrap-up-18jul1
3-en.pdf.

Specifically, the GNSO Council discussed the SCI Charter, which resulted in
the following actions:
1. The  GNSO Council agreed that the SCI for now is to be a 'standing
committee' and the charter should be amended accordingly if it is not clear
from the current wording.
2. On decision-making (full consensus versus Standard Methodology for Making
Decisions), the Council agreed to consider this issue further on the mailing
list and Council members were encouraged to share their views in support of
one or the other with the mailing list (this will be reflected in the action
items). Jeff was also asked to provide in writing his contribution with
regard to why the SCI was initially required to operate under full
consensus.

I have attached for discussion during our call the version of the charter as
it stood prior to the changes suggested by Mikey, since I think that version
reflects the status of the SCI as a 'standing committee'.  However, if this
is not clear in the current version, we can discuss how to clarify it.  In
addition, I will share any discussions concerning the SCI decision-making
process that may subsequently appear on the GNSO Council list.

Also, the Council has added two new issues for the SCI to consider:
1. Voting: The option of voting by email.
2. Procedural waiver: Whether a provision / waiver should be included in the
GNSO Operating Procedures that in certain circumstances would specifically
allow the GNSO Council to bypass its procedures (for example in the case of
non-objection).

If there were SCI members present during the wrap-up session please feel
free to comment on, add to, or amend what I have reported above.

Best regards,

Julie

Julie Hedlund, Policy Director