[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] On SCI consensus and impasse

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Jan 23 22:40:04 UTC 2013

Hi,

As I wrote in the Adobe chat, I strongly resist any attempt to change the SCI into a rough consensus group.
I think it is important, as we saw with the PDP termination case, that some one holding out because they see a problem improves our product.

Also, we do have a mechanism for getting around this.  At any point, the SCI can make a consensus decision to go rough consensus.  As someone who sometimes finds herself in a minority of one and in impasse with others in a group (happens in NCUC and NCSG too) I recognize that there are possible situations that would involve principles that could not be bridged.  In such a circumstance, though, I can imagine being part of a consensus agreement to a rough consensus decision with dissenting opinion. The point, however, is that this has to be the exception and has to be agreed to by all.

avri