Fwd: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] Draft WG Self-Assessment Design, Objectives, and Questionnaire

Mike O'Connor mike at haven2.com
Tue Jun 11 01:31:40 UTC 2013

hi Ken,

"blazing fast" or "lost in the pile of overdue email" -- those are your choices.  :-)

On Jun 10, 2013, at 6:30 PM, "Ken Bour" <ken.bour at verizon.net> wrote:

> Mikey:
>
> Thanks for another blazingly fast response…
>
> RE: PDP Framework
> You mentioned this item several times in your initial comments, but I’ll address it once here. This is an interesting question as to whether the PDP framework itself is so intricately linked to the WG process that it could, on its own merits, influence the overall effectiveness of the WG. If I were to rephrase your inquiry, would this be close: “If the PDP process is cumbersome and difficult to follow, a WG’s Mission could be challenged (if not inhibited) from the outset. If we are intending to evaluate a WG’s effectiveness, one of the issues may be the very subject/content (and attendant processes) it is required to follow, e.g., the PDP framework.” If I’m near the mark, I had not thought about that linkage until you raised it. Most of the WGs I have supported were not PDP-related, so it escaped my attention. I will be interested to see what others have to add on this matter. Another option would be to develop a separate survey-like instrument to evaluate the effectiveness of the PDP Framework itself although, as you point out, it is the WG construct that is asked to navigate those waters. Hmmm…

really close on rephrasing my question -- but where i'm coming from is that *this* gang (the SCI) is really charged with evaluating the effectiveness of the process that was put in place as a result of all those committees.  so it seems like we need to gather some "is that process effective?" type data in addition to the "was the WG effective?" stuff.  so one way to rephrase it would be something like "was there anything in the rules/structure of the PDP that got in the way?"  could be something like you described -- where the WG was put at a disadvantage from the start.  or it could be something in the middle or end of the PDP rules that caused a problem.

this is the "rules committee" type function that the SCI is charged with -- if the rules that our predecessors cooked up are flawed, we're the clean up crew that's supposed to figure out ways to hammer down the last remaining sharp edges.   does that help clarify?

> RE: Individual vs. Collective
> For consistency (analytical, historical, design), I think we should have one defined process vs. having each WG roll its own. That design constraint would not preclude identifying a couple of overarching questions that we want each WG to address every time (via separate format). Furthermore, it is not inconceivable to have a couple of questions that are addressed both collectively and individually. Then, we could compare both sets of answers to see whether the WG answered similarly or differently from the individuals that made up the team (very intriguing and reminiscent of the Abilene Paradox puzzle).
>
> RE: Demographics
> I agree that private vs. public is complex and there are pros/cons to be weighed. I tend to favor the collection of personal identifying info for the reasons provided, but safeguarding that info in order to promote honesty and candor (still requires trust). Even in a largely volunteer organization, there are some people who will not be comfortable offering what may be perceived as negative commentary unless they can do so under the cover of anonymity. I think it might be cybernetics that advises: in dynamic systems, we learn primarily from error and, if failures go unreported and undiscovered, then those improvement opportunities are forever lost.

yep, absolutely right -- i'm pretty likely to be the first recipient of this type of feedback (it seems like i'm chairing all but a few of the current PDPs).  and i really want people to feel comfortable with offering candid feedback.  so i think i retract that idea of not using anonymous data.  swing and a miss.  sorry about that.

> RE: Size, Length, Complexity
> Hopefully, providing several open-ended text boxes will be generally sufficient for those who have a “lot to say.” I’m not sure that any online survey instrument could be developed that would accommodate the exhaustive and insightful analysis you authored on your experience with the Fast Flux WG. From my recollection, that was and probably will always be remembered as a ONE-OF-A-KIND! J

that was indeed a hum-dinger.  and you're right, i think this could be addressed with a few open text-boxes.  maybe accompanied with an invitation to submit a separate document if it would be easier.  back to the anonymity issue too -- i was happy to pen and post a long rant and put my name on it, but some may not.

> RE: Learning Objectives
> You are exactly correct. I started by extracting LOs from the WG Guidelines and Charter material; then, I built the questionnaire. Once I got into it, I began seeing that I could fold a couple of topics together (similar content) and ended up with fewer questions.

very cool.  nicely done.

> Thanks for the input! I am energized by the responses thus far and am looking forward to continuing this process…

i think this might be a HUGE long-term help to the process.  let's keep at it.

thanks,

mikey