[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] RESULTS: 2015 SCI Chair and Vice Chair Selection

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 17:44:12 UTC 2014

Anne,

Once again, congratulations.  Here are two potential work items that I
would like to suggest as priorities for 2015:

1.  *Clarifying that a "Resubmitted Motion" is Eligible for Waiver of the
10-day Deadline for Submission of a Motion*.   Due to some drafting
inconsistencies between sections of the GNSO Council Operating Procedure,
it was left unclear whether a "resubmitted motion" could be submitted less
than 10 days before a meeting accompanied by a request for waiver of the
10-day deadline.  Either resubmitted motions should be treated the same as
other motions on this score (recognizing that there are other hurdles that
resubmitted motions may have to face), or resubmitted motions are
ineligible for waiver (which would lead to delay in consideration of the
motion and/or calling o special session of the GNSO Council.  This should
be clarified, and the necessary amendments to the GNSO Operating Procedures
should be made.

2. *Clarifying and Formalizing the Council's Procedure Regarding
"Friendly Amendments**."*  "Friendly amendments" are not mentioned in the
GNSO Council Operating Procedure. As such, the Council's current use of
friendly amendments is based at best on "oral tradition."  Based on my
research, there is no one generally accepted definition or treatment of "
friendly amendments."

First, there appear to be two approaches to defining what a "friendly
amendment" is:

a.  The more common approach is that *a**n amendment that changes the
meaning of the original motion generally cannot be considered "F**riendly,*"
under any circumstances. Friendly amendments should only clarify or enhance
the original motion.  If a motion is not clearly friendly, the question of
whether it qualifies as friendly should be opened to the floor.
b.  Alternately,* any amendment will be considered "Friendly," *if the
member proposing it says it is, without any opportunity for discussion or
objection

Second, once the amendment there appear to be three basic approaches to
handling motions defined as "Friendly":

x.  *No Friendly Amendments.*  This is the position in Robert's Rules of
Order, applied strictly.  Any amendment to a motion must be discussed and
voted on separately from the (unamended) motion.  As one commentator
explained "Once a motion has been made, seconded, and stated by the chair,
it belongs to the group as a whole, not to the individual who first
proposed it. It is the group as a whole that must accept or reject any
proposed amendment, whatever the intent of the proposer. The maker of the
motion, and the seconder, have the same rights as the other members of the
group – no more and no less."
y.  *If the Movant and Second (of the original motion) approve and there is
no objection from the floor, the motion is amended automatically.
 (Variation: there must be full consensus on the amendment for the motion
to be amended automatically*.*)*   If there is any objection (or lack of
consensus) by any member, the amendment must be discussed and voted on
separately from the motion.
z.  *To be Friendly, the Movant and Second of the original motion must
approve; if they approve, the motion is amended automatically.*  The
unamended motion disappears and is replaced by the amended motion, without
any discussion of or opportunity to vote on the original motion, and
without any discussion about whether the amendment is appropriate.

Based on recent practice, it appears that the GNSO Council falls into the
last category in each list (i.e., (b) and (z)), but there is no evidence
that this was a conscious decision.  I believe that a somewhat more
restrictive approach is appropriate -- basically (a) and (y) above.  The
SCI should consider this and then clarify and formalize GNSO treatment to
avoid confusion and potential gaming.

I look forward to your thoughts and the thoughts of the group

Greg Shatan

*Gregory S. Shatan **|* *Abelman Frayne & Schwab*

*666 Third Avenue **|** New York, NY 10017-5621*

*Direct*  212-885-9253 *| **Main* 212-949-9022

*Fax*  212-949-9190 *|* *Cell *917-816-6428

*gsshatan at lawabel.com <gsshatan at lawabel.com>*

*ICANN-related: gregshatanipc at gmail.com <gregshatanipc at gmail.com> *

*www.lawabel.com <http://www.lawabel.com/>*