[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] MP3 recording of the SCI meeting - 13 May 2014

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Tue May 13 22:10:35 UTC 2014

Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording of the Standing Committee on Improvements
Implementation meeting held on Tuesday, 13 May 2014 at 19:00 UTC.

 <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-sci-20140513-en.mp3>
http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-sci-20140513-en.mp3

On page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#oct> http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#may
(transcripts and recording are found on the calendar page)

Attendees:

Ronald Andruff - Commercial and Business Users Constituency - Primary -
Chair

Greg Shatan - IPC - Alternate

Thomas Rickert - Nominating Committee Appointee - Alternate

Wolf-Ulrich Knoben - ISPs and connectivity providers Constituency (ISPCP) -
Primary Member

Avri Doria - Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group (NCSG) - Primary Member

Jennifer Standiford  - Registrar Stakeholder Group (RrSG) - Primary Member

Cintra Sooknanan (Vice-Chair) - Not-for-Profit Organizations Constituency -
NPOC Constituency - Primary Member

Apologies:
Anne Aikman Scalese - IPC - Primary

Osvaldo Novoa - ISPs and connectivity providers Constituency (ISPCP) -
Alternate

ICANN Staff:
Mary Wong

Julie Hedlund

Glen de Saint Gery

Terri Agnew

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri Agnew

Adobe Chat Transcript 13 May 2014

Terri Agnew:Dear all, welcome to the SCI meeting on the 13th of May 2014 at
19:00 UTC

  Ron A:Hi all. Just dialing in now.

  Wolf-Ulrich:same to me

  Greg Shatan:I am in....

  Julie Hedlund:@Ron: We are missing the Registrar and Registry SGs.

  Julie Hedlund:Note a correction to my last statement: Jennifer Standiford
has joined the call from the Registrar SG.

  Ron A:Thanks Julie. Welcome Jennifer.

  Jennifer Standiford:hello

  Terri Agnew:Jennifer I have added you to attendance

  Jennifer Standiford:Thank you Terri

  Avri Doria:i do not undersran d why this is necessary.

  Avri Doria:as submitted motions are motions and thus subject  to the rule
as it stands.

  Terri Agnew:Cintra Sooknanan has joined

  Avri Doria:it is not necessary.  a resubmitted morion is a motion

  Avri Doria:a motion is a motion

  Mary Wong:Perhaps a simpler clarifying sentence to say this Section can
also apply to motions Resubmitted under 4.3.3?

  Avri Doria:so insteqd of fessing up to amistke, which i dont think it was,
we put complicated lanauge in another section?

  Avri Doria:but once the submission rules are ammended, that ammendment
applies to all submissions.

  Avri Doria:it wouldbe done in the context of waiver changes.

  Avri Doria:let me reread the offending sesubmission langauge.  just need
to find the full text url.

  Mary Wong:@Avri, here it is: "Explanation: The Councilor submitting the
motion must also submit an explanation for the resubmission of the motion.
The explanation need not accompany the motion when it is resubmitted;
however, the explanation must be submitted no later than the deadline for
submitting the motion (i.e., no later than 23h59 Coordinated Universal Time
(UTC) on the day 10 calendar days before the Council meeting at which the
motion is to be reconsidered). The explanation does not need to meet any
requirements other than being submitted in a timely manner."

  Mary Wong:Thanks, Greg.

  Avri Doria:i would prefer to see the pranthetical removed

  Cintra Sooknanan:how long does the asynchronous vote stay open?

  Cintra Sooknanan:before the vote/poll is closed

  Avri Doria:we called it voting outdide of a meeting.

  Avri Doria:Cintra, that would be a technical issue we did not
predetemrined.

  Cintra Sooknanan:sorry that term just stuck :)

  Mary Wong:@Avri, it's in Section 4 of this draft.

  Cintra Sooknanan:important not to prejudice voters in different time zones

  Mary Wong:Suggest 72 hours (to match absentee voting)?

  Avri Doria:discussion at this point.

  Cintra Sooknanan:i like mary's suggestion for 72 hrs

  Ron A:I like matching an existing policy as well, re 72 hours.

  Mary Wong:Can also go a step further, to fully match the Absentee Voting
timelines, allow shortening to 24 hours or expanding to 7 calendar days at
Council leadership's discretion and/or in exceptional circumstances.

  Avri Doria:point 1 gives cases, as examples

  Cintra Sooknanan:question: would the topic under vote be allowed to
continue to be discussed during the voting period? or will the discussion be
brought to a close prior to the vote announcement?

  Avri Doria:don't see why people would ever need to stop talking.

  Cintra Sooknanan:technically could 'prejudice' the vote and also not the
same rule as meeting vote

  Mary Wong:Sorry - my cursor took on a mind of its own for a second there!

  Avri Doria:well, we certainly talk in chats rooms while the vote is going
on.  i bet there is also talking on the AC during votes.

  Cintra Sooknanan:hrmm...fair point.

  Cintra Sooknanan:Avri is the vote contemplated by the subgroup to be a one
off vote or are voters allowed to change their vote during the voting
period?

  Mary Wong:I believe current absentee voting only allows a Councilor one
shot at one vote so that will not change, I think.

  Cintra Sooknanan:ok thanks Mary

  Julie Hedlund:@Mary: It was sent to the list on 30 April.

  Julie Hedlund:Anne Aikman-Scalese said on the list that the IPC supports
the language on 06 May.

  Mary Wong:@Ron, I absolutely didn't mean to come across as chastising you
:)

  Julie Hedlund:On 07 May Amr Elsader said that the NCUC supports it.

  Ron A:No issues Mary.  We all need to do our parts.

  Cintra Sooknanan:agree with Greg... there needs to be a holistic review

  Julie Hedlund:Apologies everyone -- I have to drop off to lead an SSAC
call.

  Cintra Sooknanan:the issues were raised in our drafts,

  Cintra Sooknanan:we had to make a uturn based on objections on the call

  Thomas Rickert:Thanks Ron, Thanks all! Bye! Thomas

  Cintra Sooknanan:bye everyoen