[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] Re: Notes/Actions: SCI Meeting 16June 2016

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Fri Jun 17 20:10:31 UTC 2016

Hello Anne and everyone,

FYI – at ICANN56 the Council will discuss the impact of the revised Bylaws on the GNSO’s roles and obligations, including the processes that will need to be in place to effect the GNSO’s new status as a Decisional Participant in the Empowered Community. The specific question of how the GNSO Operating Procedures (which as you note is what the SCI is tasked to review) fit into that broader discussion is therefore expected to be part of the Council’s deliberations – the context here being that there will also be new and expanded powers that go beyond the GNSO Operating Procedures.

As such, staff believes that for now the SCI can just follow the Council’s discussions on the overall topic in Helsinki. The process of implementing the new Bylaws will take some time, so it’s expected that the Helsinki discussions will be only the start of that process.

I hope this helps.


From: "Aikman-Scalese, Anne" <AAikman at lrrc.com>
Date: Friday, June 17, 2016 at 15:03
To: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund at icann.org>, "gnso-improvem-impl-sc at icann.org" <gnso-improvem-impl-sc at icann.org>
Cc: Mary Wong <mary.wong at icann.org>
Subject: RE: Notes/Actions: SCI Meeting 16June 2016

Thanks Julie, for these notes.

Sorry I was unable to participate in the call. Regarding SCI ongoing responsibilities, I note that SCI has responsibility for regular review of Operating Procedures in its Charter.  An item that Council may want to consider further in this regard is whether the new Accountability mechanism of the Empowered Community requires any documentation in GNSO Operating Procedures.  I leave it to the Chair,  our  Council liaison (Amr), and Mary  to consider this question.    Otherwise, I am seeking clarification on what others on SCI believe this SCI Charter language (second bullet point)  means:

The GNSO Standing Committee on Improvement Implementation (SCI) is responsible for reviewing and assessing the effective functioning of the GNSO Procedures and Working Group guidelines. Its tasks include making recommendations:

  *   On request, for those procedures and guidelines that have been identified as presenting immediate problems
  *   On a periodic timescale for all procedures and guidelines in order to identify possible issues and/or improvements (subject to a clear definition by the SCI on which procedures and guidelines should be reviewed)

Thank you,

Anne E. Aikman-Scalese

Of Counsel

520.629.4428 office

520.879.4725 fax

AAikman at lrrc.com<mailto:AAikman at lrrc.com>


[cid:image001.png at 01D1C8B2.C4505D30]

Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie LLP

One South Church Avenue, Suite 700

Tucson, Arizona 85701-1611


From: owner-gnso-improvem-impl-sc at icann.org [mailto:owner-gnso-improvem-impl-sc at icann.org] On Behalf Of Julie Hedlund
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2016 12:32 PM
To: gnso-improvem-impl-sc at icann.org
Subject: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] Notes/Actions: SCI Meeting 16June 2016

Dear SCI members,

Please see below the notes and actions captured from the SCI meeting held on 16 June.  Please let us know if you have any questions or comments.  As discussed on the call, the next SCI call will be scheduled as needed if there are comments in the Public Forum that will be initiated following Helsinki on the revisions to the GNSO Operating Procedures, or if an issue request is received from the GNSO Council.

Kind regards,

Julie Hedlund, Policy Director

CONSENSUS CALL: Chair/Vice Chair Elections:


•         Consensus Call: Confirmation "yes" from IPC and NCUC, no objections received.

•         Grammatical issue was noted (and previously flagged by Amr) in the last sentence in #3 and will be corrected and notified to the SCI list.

•         It was agreed that while Amr will provide an update on the SCI activities via the GNSO Council list (with staff providing a draft email), there will be no need for an in-person update in Helsinki, nor will this update preclude the proposed revisions being sent out for public comment.

•         Following the Helsinki meeting staff will initiate a public forum on proposed revisions to the GNSO Operating Procedures.

•         It was noted that the SCI will meet if there are comments in the forum, but otherwise staff will prepare the motion for the GNSO Council to adopt the revisions to the GNSO Operating Procedures at its meeting on 01 September, which will allow time for the procedures to take effect in time for preparations for the Annual General Meeting on 3-9 November.

•         It was further noted that there are no other issues from the GNSO Council for the SCI at this time and none are anticipated.

Action Items:

1)       Change the final sentence in #3 to "Should a House fail to designate an interim Vice-Chair, the Designated Interim Vice-Chair from the other House will serve as an Interim Vice-Chair alone until a new Chair is conclusively elected." Strikeout “with the vacant Vice-Chair position”.

2)       Notify the list of the change and allow people until Monday COB to comment.

3)       After COB Monday staff will send an update email to Amr for him to review and send to the Council.

4)       Following Helsinki staff will initiate a public comment forum.


This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If the reader of this message or an attachment is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message or attachment to the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message or any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the sender. The information transmitted in this message and any attachments may be privileged, is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the intended recipients, and is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §2510-2521.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-improvem-impl-sc/attachments/20160617/f5d87aee/attachment.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: image001.png
Type: image/png
Size: 6497 bytes
Desc: image001.png
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-improvem-impl-sc/attachments/20160617/f5d87aee/image001.png>

More information about the Gnso-improvem-impl-sc mailing list