[Gnso-newgtld-dg] Agenda for First Meeting of the Discussion Group for New gTLD Subsequent Rounds

Bret Fausett bret at uniregistry.link
Fri Aug 8 16:00:47 UTC 2014

On the subject of a Chair for this group, keep in mind that we are not a problem solving group, we are an issue spotting group. The Chair shouldn’t have the power to keep any issue off of the list of things for possible policy development. We are going to create a master list of everyone’s issues and then organize the list into logical segments. The GNSO Council will then take that work and vote to create issue reports and, then, working groups. The harder work will be done down the road in the policy development working groups. The Chair’s role here is really just logistical, keeping us coordinated and moving forward.

Even so, to make sure everyone trusts the process, we should thinking about having Co-Chairs from various parts of the interested community. The contracted party house / non-contracted party house division of the GNSO would be one way to do it. Though we now have contracted parties in the non-contracted party house, and vice-versa, so that division doesn’t necessarily accomplish the right balance. I’m sure there are other ways of doing it.

I think we should defer the election to our next call, and we can solicit statements of interest in serving after Monday's call and see where we are then.

        Bret

--
Bret Fausett, Esq. • General Counsel, Uniregistry, Inc.
12025 Waterfront Drive, Suite 200 • Playa Vista, CA 90094-2536
310-496-5755 (T) • 310-985-1351 (M) • bret at uniregistry.com
— — — — —