[Gnso-newgtld-dg] Thomas Lowenhaupt: An Introduction

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at nic.br
Mon Jul 28 17:25:53 UTC 2014

Continuing the introduction thread, my SOI at https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosoi/Rubens+Kuhl+SOI seems current, but in short I oversee new gTLD efforts of  the .br ccTLD registry that for the 2012 round was both an applicant and a registry service provider for other applicants.

Some topics come to my mind for the next round (or continuing process):
- Whether post-contracting requests like exclusive use (Spec 9), brand TLD (Spec 13) or closed generic request should be moved to application time, in order to give both applicants and competitors for a string clarity on whether they can or cannot operate the TLD as they wish
- Whether exclusive use TLDs should have requirements such as SRS/EPP/WHOIS/Escrow/EBERO instead of simple root delegation (although I think diverse DNS should still be a requirement, but that's probably part of the discussion)
- String similarity criteria
- String confusion standing to object that in the 2012 round was limited to TLD operators and applicants, to possibly be granted to other interested parties (like registrants of a TLD, ALAC etc.)
- Change requests versus community evaluation and objection processing
- Clear and defined clarification questions process
- Clear and defined draw process (possibly bundled with application process)
- Whether to introduce or not meaning similarity criteria like singular/plural
- Whether to allow single-character IDN TLDs (notably for scripts other than Latin and Cyrillic)
- Whether to allow variant TLDs (like .saopaulo and .sãopaulo) with required (or not) bundling rules, including variants of the at the time existing TLDs

Rubens