[Gnso-newgtld-dg] - Issues / Contention for strings

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Sun Mar 22 14:58:11 UTC 2015

Steve,

Thank you for your response. I had posed the question because ICANN gTLD
auctions are linked to another ICANN issue. That is the potential for
ICANN to have funding to assist disadvantaged regions or constituencies
with regard to the DNS system at various levels (gTLDs, registries,
registrar, etc.).  I will offer a short paragraph of my analysis around
these two linked issues, gTLD auctions and ICANN funding for "good works".

The previous gTLD round discussion produced the option of an ICANN gTLD
auction. A small amount of funding was raised and has been set aside
while ICANN explores ways of using it. Going forward such funding is
unlikely to grow. First, the overall revenue from the new gTLDs has been
more modest than hoped for, as diminishing marginal returns have set in.
Second, for strings in contention the contenders are resorting to
private auctions, where the winner pays the losers, and none of those
proceeds accrue to ICANN. The existence of the private auctions appears
to make ICANN auctions a moot point, an irrelevant issue, and seriously
impacts on any notion of an ICANN "good works" fund.

Sam

/