[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt1] recording, Attendance & AC Chat for New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 1 - Overall Process/Support/Outreach Issue

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Tue Nov 29 21:25:54 UTC 2016

Dear All,

Please find the attendance and recording of the call attached to this email and the AC Chat below for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 1 - Overall Process/Support/Outreach Issue held on Tuesday, 29 November 2016 at 20:00 UTC.
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__audio.icann.org_gnso_gnso-2Dnew-2Dgtld-2Dsubsequent-2D16may16-2Den.mp3&d=DQMF-g&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=_fjAZ8X8f1kW0l0GMcnTYAJub8JIzI-nbGkDB_FNy0s&s=Xc2HCgoInyY4sazVMVxejDycY3Vw2SBD9TFBrxEGM60&e=>

The recordings of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/7AObAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 29 November 2016

    Terri Agnew:Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 1 - Overall Process/Support/Outreach Issue  onTuesday, 29 November 2016 at 20:00 UTC.

  Terri Agnew:agenda wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_GZPDAw&d=DgIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=MUOj3KBkGbZdN2ePk2zEICYE3Vzk-vg5g8T_uJBliFc&s=2Wzc_TsclcckYa-WjDXtEJosDDo799Fm0ImBwhmNf3A&e=

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):audio?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):OK  thx

  Terri Agnew:@Cheryl calling you

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):IN

  Terri Agnew:Sara is back

  avri doria:unfortantely Rafik did not make it. apologies for promising something i could not deliver on.

  Alan Greenberg:Not really an error, just a need to be clearer.

  Steve Chan:Here is a link to the study Jeff mentioned: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__rm.coe.int_CoERMPublicCommonSearchServices_DisplayDCTMContent-3FdocumentId-3D09000016806b5a14&d=DgIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=MUOj3KBkGbZdN2ePk2zEICYE3Vzk-vg5g8T_uJBliFc&s=ijmn3AEbHUMbmM8f8FtDpCT8Eg2qEM57eGeRAdxMYm8&e=

  Steve Chan:It is also available on the Wiki under 4.4.5 Community Applications

  Donna Austin, Neustar:I agree Christa -- if there is no market for domain names or infrastructure or resources to support a TLD, then providing financial support to apply for a TLD may not necessarily solve the problem.

  Jim Prendergast, The Galway Strategy Group:I think the ongoing costs issue is important.  $185 k is just the beginning.

  Donna Austin, Neustar:@Jim, agree

  Terri Agnew:@Sara, let me know if a dial out to the hotel room would be helpful

  Jeff Neuman:One question is whether we believe ICANN needs an ongoing set of funds to pay for infrastructure for any RSP that agrees to support one of the Applicants who qualifies for support

  Sara Bockey:I'm back.  sorry about that

  Donna Austin, Neustar:@Alan, when you say not use the program again do you mean the Applicant Support program or the TLD program?

  avri doria:we need to be clear that accusations of possible gaming do not become in themselves a form of gaming.

  Steve Coates:+1

  Terri Agnew:Rubens has joined

  Donna Austin, Neustar:thanks

  Rubens Kuhl:AC on Chrome is a bit shaky. Will try switching to Firefox.

  Rubens Kuhl:Our experience in LAC region shows distribution channel as the largest barrier to overcome, at least for open TLDs.

  Rubens Kuhl:So in our experience, revisiting the vertical integration policy and registrar accreditation policy would go much further than paying application fee or part of it.

  Donna Austin, Neustar:Thanks Avri and Alan

  avri doria:there is also a big difference between the JAS report and the Board designed program.

  Kurt Pritz:is this sub team essentially the new JAS or will that be undertaken elsewhere?

  Rubens Kuhl:AGB is a mixture of "how to"'s and "why"'s. A simplified how-to only version would be easier to digest. The "why's" are only needed when changes to AGB or new processeses are needed.

  Rubens Kuhl:CQs and answers for published responses should have been published.

  Donna Austin, Neustar:The clarifying questions could also indicate that the question was ambiguous and in that regard the question should be reviewed to remove ambiguitiy or any other problems.

  Steve Chan:The report Russ is talking about is here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.icann.org_en_system_files_files_program-2Dreview-2D29jan16-2Den.pdf&d=DgIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=MUOj3KBkGbZdN2ePk2zEICYE3Vzk-vg5g8T_uJBliFc&s=H46jLSyDiqdR5vNg2TFmdvs2s3SHTiRyJpSb0dOa2Fw&e=

  Donna Austin, Neustar:Russ, i think its on pg 52 of the report

  Steve Chan:And mentioned by Donna. And a resoucee for us to continue to use going forward.

  Donna Austin, Neustar:Application Fees based on cost recovery is difficult to do if you don't understand the demand, which is evidenced from the 2012 rounds.

  Russ Weinstein:Thanks Donna, Pg 52 has the high level, page 79 has further detail about CQ's from the Technical Panel; pg 85 for Financial;

  Phil Buckingham:+ 1 Donna . cost recovery of which costs - 1/3  of the fee  was a legal contingency  cost . Is this needed now.

  avri doria:or even if we do stay with a cost recovery model.  the model slected was quite controversial at the time.

  Rubens Kuhl:I support cost-recovery.

  Donna Austin, Neustar:even if that means $5,000/application?

  Rubens Kuhl:Donna, even in this case.

  Donna Austin, Neustar:I don't agree.

  Alan Greenberg:Dropping off bridge to go to other call.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):THX everyone, I need to leave fr my next back to back call now...  Bye for now

  Donna Austin, Neustar:a unique piece of real estate on the internet has a value - and I think that needs to be part of the discussion.

  Donna Austin, Neustar:@Christa - agree -

  Rubens Kuhl:Errors of the past don't justify making them forever.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Indeed Rubens

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):bye

  avri doria:bye, thanks, good meeting