[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt1] recording, Attendance & AC Chat for New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 1 - Overall Process/Support/Outreach Issue

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Tue Sep 6 16:45:48 UTC 2016

Dear All,

Please find the attendance and recording of the call attached to this email and the AC Chat below for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 1 - Overall Process/Support/Outreach Issue held on Tuesday, 06 September 2016 at 15:00 UTC.
<http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-new-gtld-subsequent-16may16-en.mp3>

The recordings of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#nov>

Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/7AObAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 06 September 2016

  Terri Agnew:Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 1 - Overall Process/Support/Outreach Issue call held on Tuesday, 06 September 2016 at 15:00 UTC

  Terri Agnew:wiki agenda page: https://community.icann.org/x/rRWsAw

  Christa Taylor:one moment

  Jeff Neuman:hello all

  Michael Flemming:Hello

  Paul McGrady:Good morning/afternoon/evening.

  vanda:hi everyone.

  Emily Barabas:Yes, everyone should be able to scroll

  Emily Barabas:Click the minus sign at the bottom of the window to zoom out, if needed

  Emily Barabas:A list of topics covered by this sub team: https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=60490732

  vanda:one of the main problems in our survey here is communication so I would liek to have some focus on that as one of the most relevant issue to succeed

  vanda:i am in a noise environment, but will participate writing in this chat

  Paul McGrady:@Jeff.  Thanks for the clarity.

  Rubens Kuhl:Actually I'm in Adobe Connect, not Audio Only...

  Avri Doria:had audio problems and had to reboot.  back now.

  Terri Agnew:@Rubens, I will update that in a moment

  Rubens Kuhl:@Terri, no rush.

  vanda:@rubens. yes, I can talk but with kids in a noise environment - will disturb the call

  Steve Coates:Apologies, my computer shut down.  I'm back.

  Donna Austin, Neustar:Are we prioritising to decide what is policy?

  Phil Buckingham:I agree Rubenss - topics that will require a PDP/new policy  will take longer , so  I agree - to prioritise .identify topics on that basis .

  Jeff Neuman:Donna - prioritizing in terms of subjects

  Michael Flemming:I believe we are prioritizing the order as well as the time in which we will be looking at each individual topic. Once we reach each topic we will begin discussing about implementation or policy, perhaps.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):It's 0115 and the house is asleep  I prefer to type if needs be

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):I agree Michael

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Smaller groups of couerse means MOR meetings I assume ad you will still need to come back to the WT as a whole periodocaalaly and then  to the ful WG

  Laura Watkins (Nominet):My mic didn't seem to be working.  I have a process question - I'm not clear how the process will work in terms of going through the work items.  For example - the first item on the list is "Accreditation programs" - how in depth will these discussions be?  Will the group work on this to propose a solution or will the discussions simply identify if a PDP process is needed in that area?

  Terri Agnew:@Laura, I have sent you a private AC chat to help

  Donna Austin, Neustar:@Cheryl--fair points.

  Rubens Kuhl:Steve has his hand raised.

  Jeff Neuman:welcome back Steve

  Paul McGrady:@Steve Chan - couldn't we just color code them on our chart for clarity?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Great to have you back Steve

  vanda:accresditation services is another relevant point raised in our survey about gtlds here in LAC region.

  Steve Chan:I believe there is a chart in the final issue report as well, with check marks (as opposed to color coding Paul), to have a quick reference guide

  Steve Chan:However, this is my first day back, so my memory might be challenged :)

  Rubens Kuhl:Steve, is there an XLSX/OpenCalc/GoogleSheet version of it ?

  Donna Austin, Neustar:What do we mean by 'variable fees'? Is that the ongoing fee the registry operator pays?

  Paul McGrady:@Steve, welcome back.  ICANNland missed you.

  Samantha Demetriou:One way to do this might be to set up a Google doc that lists the final report recommendations and the existing questions. That way people can add additional questions/items to be addressed and indicate if they are policy or implementation.From there we can prioritize the topics that have the most policy items that need to be decided.

  Julie Hedlund:All -- I will find the table and send it around.

  Sara Bockey:Here is the question posed for Variable fees

  Sara Bockey:Variable Fees: Should the New gTLD application fee be variable based on such factors as application type (e.g., open or closed registries), multiple identical applications, or other factor?

  Avri Doria:would be good, perhaps, to also be able to display that table.

  Phil Buckingham:CLO - Google docs - a good idea

  Donna Austin, Neustar:Thanks Sara

  Samantha Demetriou:Systems to me seem to be somewhat unique and almost entirely implementation

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Well Phil, that can allow  for more asymetric  inut as well...  As long as we  also use the mailing lit  to remind the wifer WT  to make inout and nte any major  ugrades of the Docs (or similar to Docs Wiki for example)

  Rubens Kuhl:The idea is to prioritize based on whether it looks like policy, not a final determination on whether it is or it is not.

  Avri Doria:In fact one of the outcomes of the policy & Implementation work, it was discovered that each issues has both elements in it, just the proportionality differes at different times in the project.  At this point when we are reviewing the difference matters less.

  Rubens Kuhl:Prioritization only specifies order, not inclusion or exclusion.

  Avri Doria:we are already moving 4 tracks in parrlalel, more tracks becomes a complexity mightmare.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Tht is my concern Avri

  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland):There are lots of dependencies between the tracks - at least seen from the exterior of somebody unable to follow everything...

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Can we have scroll control?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):THx

  Avri Doria:but having individuals take reposnsiblity for doing a first take and brining it back to the subteam can be useful

  Julie Hedlund:@CLO: It is unsynced.

  Phil Buckingham:Surely we have to identify policy issues first because they are going to take much longer , than an implementation , operational issues . We need to put in place  a critical path  / project manage this .

  Laura Watkins (Nominet):+1 jorge

  Kurt Pritz:Each item in the list has a policy and implementation aspect. We should decide the policy for a particular item first, then move on to any implementation advice we have. E.g., for accreditation, is our policy to have an accreditation program to: make the application process as cheap and fast as possible, ensure DNS stability and resiliency, encourage diversity, etc. When we decide that, we move on to implementation advice. \

  Phil Buckingham:+ Kurt

  Rubens Kuhl:Kurt, the policy item here is whether technical competence needs to be shown beforehand or not...

  Rubens Kuhl:.... beforehand is what is written in policy now, but accreditation/certification could allow for selecting a technical provider after.

  Jeff Neuman:@rubens, that may be part of it, but I think the policy is also about increasing choice, competition, cheaper application fees, etc

  Jeff Neuman:you can select before or after, but pick from a list of those that are "pre-approved"

  Steve Coates:That sounds way too pragmatic.  Let's make it more difficult.

  Steve Coates:Just kidding.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2:You sure Steve ;-)

  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland):What will be looking at when talking about the AGB? Its contents or its format?

  Rubens Kuhl:@Jeff, you are right. Some people have read "increasing choice and competition" as a ban of accreditation programs, so we need this cleared out, indeed.

  Rubens Kuhl:We could call it "Clusters".

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2:A "Work Prder" perhaps Jeff

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2: Work Order

  Paul McGrady:How about "Issue Pace"?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2:agreed Jeff

  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland):On applicant support it would probably be good to liaise specifically with the GAC WG on underserved regions

  vanda:i have it cheryl

  Kurt Pritz:Applicant Support will be somewhat dependent on what the application fees and variable fees are

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2:Starting and run in parallel  yes

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2:as HJeff said  'ending is another matter all together'

  Donna Austin, Neustar:@Jorge, it would be helpful to encourage member of the GAC WG to participate in the topic discussion

  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland):And the applicant fees may be dependent on whether we have categories...

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO) 2:Exactly Avri  we can always  take 'another run at things' esoecially where there are interdependencies

  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland):@Donna: "we" are trying - but a specific outreach (e.g. with questions ) could help to get their input

  Michael Flemming:Just one moment

  Kurt Pritz:We could start with policy reasons for having such a program. An accreditaion program for RSPs should be implemented because: (1) it will improve application processing efficiency; (2) it will improve DNS security, stability, resiliency; (3) it could improve diversity. Which one or more of these?

  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland):Sounds good Kurt. How does it improve diversity? (just to better understand)

  Kurt Pritz:@ Michael: I think the members of this group ARE the community. Any community member who wanted to participate is welcome. I don't understand the need for the additional attempt at consutation to those that were already invited.

  vanda:@kurt + 1

  Katrin Ohlmer | DOTZON GmbH:@kurt: +1

  Avri Doria:well we need schedules to give us timelines as goals to work toward.

  Michael Flemming:@Kurt, I would agree that constituincy comment requires rather a lot of work and should only be done as necessary. I agree with Avri in regards to needing to know what our questions are before drafting them, that is why I had doubts in regards to the drafted schedule. I think we only need to ask questions as necessary.

  Michael Flemming:@Avri, I understand and they are very much appreciated. Without those schedules, I wouldn't be able to ask such questions.

  Avri Doria:Michael, but constituency comments are a required part of the process before developing recommendations.

  Michael Flemming:Of course

  Avri Doria:i mean community comments

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Excellent point Donna

  vanda:I am finishing the survey here and will have more clear information about  accreditation, but already can say services accredited list of services is considered very important for future application

  vanda:sorry will need to leave.. conflict calls.

  Avri Doria:true Donna, is it enough to say on an application - will use a certified provider.

  Terri Agnew:Next call: New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 1 - Overall Process/Support/Outreach Issue  will take place on Tuesday, 20 September 2016 at 20:00 UTC.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Thx Terri

  Jeff Neuman:great job Sara and Christa

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Has invte(s) been seny yet for the following calls?

  Michael Flemming:Yes, amazing job!

  Michael Flemming:Phil and I will deliver on Thursday.

  Avri Doria:and thanks to Sara and Christa for being the first of the subgroups to take the track further.

  Rubens Kuhl:Tks Sara, Christa, staff!

  Terri Agnew:@Cheryl, next call for this group will be sent shortly

  Donna Austin, Neustar:Thanks Sara and Christa

  Ashley Roberts:Thanks Sara ad Christa.

  Alexander Schubert:Bye everyone!

  Cecilia Smith:Thank you both!

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Great start everyone

  Katrin Ohlmer | DOTZON GmbH:thanks

  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland):thanks and bye

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Talk  agan soon

  Phil Buckingham:Well done Christa and Sara  for kicking this off .

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Bye for now