[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt1] recording, Attendance & AC Chat for New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 1 - Overall Process/Support/Outreach Issue

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Tue Sep 20 21:38:18 UTC 2016

Dear All,

Please find the attendance and recording of the call attached to this email and the AC Chat below for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 1 - Overall Process/Support/Outreach Issue held on Tuesday, 20 September 2016 at 20:00 UTC.
<http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-new-gtld-subsequent-16may16-en.mp3>

The recordings of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#nov>

Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/7AObAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 20 September 2016

   Terri Agnew:Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 1 - Overall Process/Support/Outreach Issue call held on Tuesday, 20 September 2016 at 20:00 UTC.

  Terri Agnew:wiki agenda page: https://community.icann.org/x/rxWsAw

  Vanda:hi all !!!

  Vanda:yes

  Laura Watkins:Hi.  I sent apologies but have been able to join after all.

  Terri Agnew:@Sara, your audio seems fine

  Terri Agnew:@Laura, thank you, apology has been removed

  Laura Watkins:Thanks @Terri - sorry

  Terri Agnew:@Laura, happy it worked out you could join

  Emily Barabas:Everyone can now scroll and zoom in the center pod

  Avri Doria:i think it is a good new approximation for the ST to work from.

  Vanda:from the sudy we had in this region  service providers  list would be encouraging for potential applicants here

  Paul McGrady:HI everyone.  Sorry to be late.

  Emily Barabas:Link to Google Doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KTHsQSjMSmutsY2WMmQG1DNsNp6cX7k4oQEwKveU338/edit?usp=sharing

  Terri Agnew:Please remember to mute when not speaking

  Emily Barabas:Everyone can now scroll

  Emily Barabas:and zoon

  Emily Barabas:zoom

  Paul:Wow, this document is beautiful.  Thanks so much for all the hard work on this.  It gives us a clear path forward for meaningful discussion.

  Paul:@Jeff, is this beneficial to backend providers too or just applicants?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Agree Jeff

  Paul:@Jeff, thanks!  A rare win/win.

  Katrin Ohlmer 2:+1 Jeff! That has been a big issue in the prevoious round

  Phil Buckingham:+1 Katrin

  Phil Buckingham: Periodic check  in the form of an "audit "  once a year

  Avri Doria:up and running with no comlaints/problems.  agree that at time 0, all should go through the first testing.

  Paul:@Jeff, Seems fair.

  Terri Agnew:@Laura, we are unable to hear you, you are unmuted on the AC. Please check mute on your side

  Donna Austin, Neustar:Apologies for being late.

  Kurt Pritz:@Jeff: correct. Setting criteria has to be done very carefully and I should not have used the word "guarantee." We are try to improve resiliency but not guarantee it.

  Laura Watkins:Seems my mic is not working.  I wanted to raise that there are some concerns with the term "accredited" as it has other connotations as Jeff has just mentioned.  Perhaps there is another more neutral term that could be used?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Agree again Jeff

  Donna Austin, Neustar:I'm sorry I don't have audio. This is why we wanted to understand the problems we were trying to solve before we started talking about the solution.

  Donna Austin, Neustar:There may be more than one solution to the problems we believe accreditation or certification would solve.

  Kurt Pritz:I agree that writing the criteria is an implementation issue. Developing criteria in other arenas has been a highly contentious process where industry participants try to write criteria that are well-suited to their operation. The criteria writing should be led by a strong independent party.

  Vanda:agree Kurt

  Paul:@Kurt - good advice.

  Vanda:yes.

  Jeff Neuman:@Donna - If you listen to the beginning of the call, I went through how I believe this is a win-win situation from applicants and beck end providers

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Jeff  I note the referal to WT4  here,  but would aappreciate a short articulation of the 'issues as identified by this WT" perhaps framed as a few simple questions,  for us in WT4 to  list in our WP  and ensure we effectively deal with...  Perhaps an AI  Sara?

  Donna Austin, Neustar:@Avre - ICANN identified that the ability to test for multiple registry operators was a fail in the first round and something that should be remedied. For those RSPs that have been operating ROs from the first round they have been doing so in accordance with the requirements of the RA after going through PDT. There may be ways to adjust PDT to test for x number of registry operations and domains under management.

  Yasmin Omer - Amazon Registry Services:Apologies for joining this group late, has this group made a distinction between 1) a RSP demonstrating its ability to manage the critical registry functions (effectively what the application process was) and 2) the RSPs ability to actually manage the critical registry functions (what Pre-Delegation Testing was). Is the scope of this group limited to point 1 or does it extend to point 2?

  Donna Austin, Neustar:sorry Avri

  Laura Watkins:When we refer to the process of "Accreditation" are we inventing a new process for future rounds? Or was this something that took place as part of pre-delegation testing last time and the discussion is just about moving it to earlier in the process in the future?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):WP  means  Work Plan

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):No  Not yet  to work on  BUT  to ensure we do address the secifics of anaything  from this WT  to WT4

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):just don't want thngs to slip through the cracks  NOR  have this group do more thna needed

  Paul:AI = Action Item    WP= Work Plan  CLO = Alfonso Bonilla Aragón International Airport  :)

  Yasmin Omer - Amazon Registry Services:Thanks Jeff

  Donna Austin, Neustar:As the entity responsible for security and stability of the Internet, isn't ICANN going to be liable if a registry fails or compromises SSR in some way?

  Paul:Thanks Jeff.

  Jeff Neuman:@Donna - I dont believe that with a certification process carefully designed, no

  Donna Austin, Neustar:Thanks Sara, I'll review the earlier part of the call.

  Paul:All, I have to switch to phone only.

  Jeff Neuman:@Paul - we will miss you witty written banter

  Jeff Neuman:I believe it should be strictly cost recovery funded by the RSPs

  Donna Austin, Neustar:Sara, this assumes one solution and I'm not sure this is a question we need to get into at this point.

  Katrin Ohlmer 2:@ Jeff: I agree

  Avri Doria:cost recorvery is dangerous since that leaves so many costs up to interpretations

  Katrin Ohlmer 2:@Avri: The cost should be fixed

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):FIXED COSTS IS OK  where they are agreed and redictable

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Predictable

  Phil Buckingham:Yes -out of the auction proceeds  or Fixed price contract  with an independant third party

  Vanda:nice music around...

  Donna Austin, Neustar:You rapping away there Jeff

  Avri Doria:i did for a few seconds

  Terri Agnew:it ended so quickly I was unable to find which line it was coming from

  Cecilia Smith:It was DEFINITELY Jeff's music...

  Vanda:agree with Avri about costs..

  Donna Austin, Neustar:I will, noting that I am currently on vacation so it will not be timely, but it's not the first time I've requested that we start with identifying the problems before jumping to solutions.

  Emily Barabas:Google doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KTHsQSjMSmutsY2WMmQG1DNsNp6cX7k4oQEwKveU338/edit?usp=sharing

  Jeff Neuman:No problem Donna.  Just want to make sure your thoughts and comments are brought out

  Avri Doria:yes, everybody, lets not wait for the next call to do mmore work on this.

  Avri Doria:thank you good call

  Phil Buckingham:+ 1  Donna  - identify the problem(s) first

  Emily Barabas:Next meeting: Tuesday 4 October at 3:00 UTC

  Kurt Pritz:Here are some problems we are trying to solve: (1) the application process was clunky and repetitive w/o any benefit for the extra cost; (2) little in the existing PDT criteria serves stability and resiliency, i.e., capacity in excess of activity or addressing threats; (3) the process for R.O. switching backend providers in unpredictable;

  Kurt Pritz:(4) Avri's point that the capacity for providing back end services is not tested

  Avri Doria:i think there may be enough in the previous docs for synthesis of the questions asked.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Thx Sara and everyone... good call ... talk again soon...  bye for now

  Avri Doria:yes safe to end. thanks

  Jeff Neuman:The other item I would like to get are the pros and cons identified by the Contracted Parties at the GDD Summitt

  Katrin Ohlmer 2:thank you everyone

  Laura Watkins:Thanks

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):yup

  Kurt Pritz:good job Sara

  Vanda:buy all

  Jeff Neuman:Can we please track those down.  I know we did those on flip charts at the GDD Summit

  Steve Chan:@Jeff, yes, i can get those from GDD staff

  Steve Chan:or, i will try that is