[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt1] [EXTERNAL] Work Track 1 Agenda for 8 August 2017 @ 3:00 UTC

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Wed Aug 9 20:57:35 UTC 2017

Kurt,

You bring up a very valid point, and I try to rephrase it:

The ICANN fee structure set aside; in the 2012 round we had a NUMBER of clear entry hurdles for single string applicants; for example (but not limited to):

*        A relatively high base fee for the application (US $185k)

*        The COI (around US $20k often more)

*        Some paid the Data Escrow Service upfront – but it has to be paid at some point anyways (around US $25k annually)

*        Relatively high consulting fees for single string applicants (or years of ICANN participation)

*        Fees associated with the application writing

*        RSP upfront costs (e.g. setup fees)

*        Relatively high RSP fees (transaction related and annual) in most cases!

*        Outside of ICANN virtually NOBODY knew about the program (whatever publicity work ICANN did: it remained without ANY impact). So only the ICANN circles and those who were actively approached by consultancies considered to apply

*        And last not least quite some uncertainty whether the entire thing works out and will find any general acceptance

This all will change DRAMATICALLY in the 2020 round!

*        All non-ICANN fees will shrink ENORMOUSLY!

*        RSP related costs for example will be a tiny fraction from what single string applicants experienced in 2012.

*        Brand managers around the globe are aware by now.

*        Players specialized in geo names will BLANKET thousands of cities with requests for letters of non-objection (cheaper than buying a money printing machine, but as profitable).

*        “Success stories” of portfolio applicants lure in rich domain professionals as well as “investors”

*        “Turn Key” solutions at an annual fix price on 10 year basis (including all fees) will be offered; your grandma could apply for a string online in 3 easy steps!

We always act as if the 2020 round will unfold in an environment identical to that of the 2012 round; a mistake.

Long story short: Way higher demand will be met with WAY lower entry hurdles – even if the application fees would remain at the 2012 level. Kurt is right: We risk an inflationary DNS explosion when we further REDUCE hurdles.

The most simple entry hurdle is obviously a financial one; through HIGHER application fees; which could decline then from round to round (and at higher price points the rounds would be much smaller and shorter). Can we think of OTHER hurdles, too? Or exceptions? E.g.: If the letter of non-objection for a geo clearly implies that there is only ONE supported applicant – we could lower the financial hurdle as another hurdle exists (the letter of non-objection) and there is no contention? Whereas brands and generic term based applicants will simply have to wait until in a future round the fees decline, or pay up (which shouldn’t be a problem for global brands).

Preventing an onslaught of applications means by definition creation of hurdles and implies waiting for some prospective applicants. Just like in the real world. The alternative is chaos, long rounds, and a DNS that becomes very confusing very fast. I wonder what registrars would think about another 2,000 generic term based gTLDs they should carry. At some point they simply drop out one by one as the proceeds do not warrant the effort. Where shall the consumer then buy? This REDUCES competition and consumer choice in the end.

Alexander