[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt1] Recording, Attendance, AC recording, AC Chat for New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 1 – Overall Process/Support/Outreach Issue

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Tue Aug 22 18:39:06 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Please find the attendance and recording of the call attached to this email.
The AC recording and AC Chat are listed below for the New gTLD Subsequent
Procedures Sub Team - Track 1 - Overall Process/Support/Outreach Issue held
on Tuesday, 22 August 2017 at 15:00 UTC.

Adobe Connect recording:
<https://participate.icann.org/p11ko6ctu1a/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=a734cab52dd0f74b
6487850c643c955ffb306ed2d345023772faa3091aafe84d>
https://participate.icann.org/p11ko6ctu1a/

The recordings of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:
<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar>
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-newgtld-wg-wt1

Agenda Wiki page:  <https://community.icann.org/x/JQEhB>
https://community.icann.org/x/JQEhB

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 22 August 2017

  Terri Agnew:Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team - Track
1 - Overall Process/Support/Outreach Issue call on Tuesday, 22 August 2017
at 15:00 UTC for 60 minutes.

  Terri Agnew:agenda wiki page:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_J
QEhB
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_
JQEhB&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCI
gmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=JenAbyn7jXXXPh8zjzmu65audIg2VirwxtaWCT2iP5A
&s=gdswa-ZIEwjYV9C4iprTmB3CM0rMTxm8Qw3tJOm6iNM&e>
&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXh
FzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=JenAbyn7jXXXPh8zjzmu65audIg2VirwxtaWCT2iP5A&s=gd
swa-ZIEwjYV9C4iprTmB3CM0rMTxm8Qw3tJOm6iNM&e=

  Terri Agnew:The CC2 responses we will be covering may be review in the
google document:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_spreads
heets_d_1427pgTCkguOj2NZZzMnz-5FH-5FlPe54dtvUErSJd9uhkZw_edit-23gid-3D144205
9046
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_spread
sheets_d_1427pgTCkguOj2NZZzMnz-5FH-5FlPe54dtvUErSJd9uhkZw_edit-23gid-3D14420
59046&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCI
gmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=JenAbyn7jXXXPh8zjzmu65audIg2VirwxtaWCT2iP5A
&s=NlGKnSfOzDc41RVFR_28g7Yc6uCL4HUirxnvKOCZndU&e>
&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXh
FzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=JenAbyn7jXXXPh8zjzmu65audIg2VirwxtaWCT2iP5A&s=Nl
GKnSfOzDc41RVFR_28g7Yc6uCL4HUirxnvKOCZndU&e=

  Christa Taylor:Can you hear me?

  Christa Taylor:rebooting

  Jeff Neuman:hello all

  Alan Greenberg:Conundrum - great wiord!

  Steve Chan:@Christa, Alan has his hand up

  Alexander Schubert:Maybe not reducing fees - but offering financial
"support" then?

  Alan Greenberg:Agree with Donna both on need for discussion and potential
reasons.

  Donna Austin, Neustar:@Alexander, that's the term I was looking for:
financial support. thank you.

  Alexander Schubert::D

  Alexander Schubert:Good idea!

  Alexander Schubert:Problem: Volume based fee increase will be circumvented
by the Donuts system: new entity for each app!

  Donna Austin, Neustar:For the record, I don't believe there would be any
variation in the application fee. It should be the same across the types of
applications and to Alexander's point earlier, we can look at reasons for
providing financial support.

  Alan Greenberg:@Alexander. Perhaps, but they would have to work a lot
harder at masking their shared ownership and presumably penalties for
trying.

  Greg Shatan:Alexander, that probably could be controlled for - after all,
everyone knows that all of those came from are all Donuts from the same
Donuts shop.

  Donna Austin, Neustar:Donuts were not the only portfolio applicants.

  Alexander Schubert:Donna: But Donuts had unique legal entities for every
app! That's what I am refering to.

  Greg Shatan:I think at least one other applicant used the multiple entity
approach.

  Donna Austin, Neustar:Understood Alexander, my point was more the point
that Donuts is always referred to but there were other entities that had
multiple applications as well.

  Donna Austin, Neustar:Some of those are corporations.

  Steve Chan:CPE was an additional fee that was paid back in the event the
applicant met the criteria.

  Steve Chan:Paid BACK

  Alexander Schubert:Well: not many met the criteria :D

  Donna Austin, Neustar:I think as a general principle, we should aim to
have the application process as simple as possible for the applicants and
for ICANN to administer. It seems that we may be over-engineering for any
positive outcome.

  Jeff Neuman:It would only save time if no competing applications

  Alexander Schubert:Christa: Then you need to have a "test" on wheher they
are a "real brand"! Anybody can register a TM and claim they are a "brand" -
and all important generic terms are branded in many places!

  Katrin Ohlmer:We also support the concept of simplicity - for applicants
and ICANN

  Alexander Schubert:"branded" = "trademarked" rather .....

  Greg Shatan:The "community" status was arguably "gamed" quite a bit....

  Greg Shatan:If a word is a trademark it is not being used in its generic
sense.  So it is not correct to say that "generic terms are trademarked,"
But I digress.

  Phil Buckingham:Ffrom the financial model /  evaluation perspective  we
cant have a "one size fits " all this time. A brand model would so easier
to evaluate than a community model .

  Jeff Neuman:Greg - what are the indirect costs?

  Jeff Neuman:that you think should be covered

  Jeff Neuman:Remember we have defined the costs as being of the application
process itself

  Jeff Neuman:ongoing fees are covered through ICANN yearly fees

  Alan Greenberg:Jeff, we also clearly included costs of developing the
program.

  Alexander Schubert:Christa: Define "brand" application! So I can register
a TM "orange" apply for ".orange" and then "lease" domains (much like
CentralNic's .de.com third level registrations) avoiding all the hassle with
registrant rights! People buy third level domain from CentralNic at even
HIGHER prices than .com - the model works well. But "registrants" (leasees)
have ZERO "rights".

  Jeff Neuman:Alan - Yes we did previously.  Doesnt mean we should going
forward......

  Jeff Neuman:that is still an ongoing discussion

  Donna Austin, Neustar:Agree with Ashley, it would be good if we could aim
to wrap up discussions in a timely fashion rather than drawing them out.

  Terri Agnew:New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team - Track 1 - Overall
Process/Support/Outreach Issue will take place on Tuesday, 05 September 2017
at 20:00 UTC for 60 minutes.

  Greg Shatan:At a minimum, I would think the costs of developing the
program would be included in any cost analysis.

  Jeff Neuman:We also need to balance that with a complete rehashing of the
same issues if new people join :)

  Greg Shatan:Query whether all the costs of ICANN in the New gTLD world
should be as well.

  Ashley Roberts:thanks

  Alexander Schubert:Bye!

  Katrin Ohlmer:Thanks!