[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt1] Recording, Attendance, AC recording, AC Chat for New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 1 – Overall Process/Support/Outreach Issue, 30 May 2017

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Tue May 30 22:19:46 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance and recording of the call attached to this email. The AC recording and AC Chat are listed below for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 1 – Overall Process/Support/Outreach Issue held on Tuesday, 30 May 2017 at 20:00 UTC.

Adobe Connect recording (audio and visual):  <https://participate.icann.org/p6rvj6gm2f7/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=1d0b66cd3929354d21560731d101913a0a7092f23edd328723cd77441b3653ca> https://participate.icann.org/p6rvj6gm2f7/

The recordings of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:  <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar> http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

Agenda Wiki page:  <https://community.icann.org/x/qgDfAw> https://community.icann.org/x/qgDfAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 30 May 2017

    Terri Agnew:Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 1 - Overall Process/Support/Outreach Issue call on Tuesday, 30 May 2017 at 20:00 UTC.

  Terri Agnew:agenda wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_qgDfAw <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_qgDfAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=wrVF8ge7Cw6yXiSc1fDGuOjdOqKlzyIW7ZXdtnrzx2w&s=Ru-D9a5MDlhCSpo1GRJN1gNQQYFCqdxDkNo-2ncCKy0&e> &d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=wrVF8ge7Cw6yXiSc1fDGuOjdOqKlzyIW7ZXdtnrzx2w&s=Ru-D9a5MDlhCSpo1GRJN1gNQQYFCqdxDkNo-2ncCKy0&e=

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):the call me says it is but it is not doing so... sorry

  Terri Agnew:@Cheryl, let me try again

  Emily Barabas:slides are currently not synced

  Emily Barabas:everyone can control slides for themselves

  avri doria:so us saying it goes away means we accept that which currenlty exists.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):indeed A

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Alan

  avri doria:there were applications

  Rubens Kuhl:The number was so small that any information can be traced to individual applicants.

  avri doria:an handful, i foeget the actual number

  Trang Nguyen:Yes, the eval report provides pass/fail by category (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__newgtlds.icann.org_en_applicants_candidate-2Dsupport_sarp-2Dresults-2D20mar13-2Den.pdf <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__newgtlds.icann.org_en_applicants_candidate-2Dsupport_sarp-2Dresults-2D20mar13-2Den.pdf&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=wrVF8ge7Cw6yXiSc1fDGuOjdOqKlzyIW7ZXdtnrzx2w&s=EUsIHqdB075ghYxryaMiV_3YvLCzdY9q1q1FrhMgtrA&e> &d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=wrVF8ge7Cw6yXiSc1fDGuOjdOqKlzyIW7ZXdtnrzx2w&s=EUsIHqdB075ghYxryaMiV_3YvLCzdY9q1q1FrhMgtrA&e= )

  avri doria:the APS starting early might make a difference.  a lot of diffeence.

  avri doria:i mean ASP

  Alan Greenberg:Results of last Applicant Support Program: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__newgtlds.icann.org_en_applicants_candidate-2Dsupport_sarp-2Dresults-2D20mar13-2Den.pdf <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__newgtlds.icann.org_en_applicants_candidate-2Dsupport_sarp-2Dresults-2D20mar13-2Den.pdf&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=wrVF8ge7Cw6yXiSc1fDGuOjdOqKlzyIW7ZXdtnrzx2w&s=EUsIHqdB075ghYxryaMiV_3YvLCzdY9q1q1FrhMgtrA&e> &d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=wrVF8ge7Cw6yXiSc1fDGuOjdOqKlzyIW7ZXdtnrzx2w&s=EUsIHqdB075ghYxryaMiV_3YvLCzdY9q1q1FrhMgtrA&e=

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):agree Greg

  Rubens Kuhl:A possible program should not restrict itself to application fee, but also include planning and ongoing operations.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):too little too late

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):full review needed on this

  Rubens Kuhl:Note that .IDN would have failed restricted strings criteria, being a 3-letter country code.

  Jim Prendergast:would it help to remind the larger WG that this issue is being discussed and we could use some help?

  Christa Taylor:Will do Jim!

  Rubens Kuhl:ASP gamed itself out.

  avri doria:Personal view: in the 2012 round the anti-gaming factions were the gamers who won.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):lots fell down on As effort

  Rubens Kuhl:On communications, Stakeholder Engagement capacity at ICANN grew a lot since 2012. So the same programs with the 2012 rules could have a different outcome this time.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Applicant Support

  avri doria:Rubens, good point.

  Donna Austin, Neustar:I think the AGB was good. I don't know of any other mechanism that would be any great improvement.

  Kurt Pritz:On Applicant Support: I know this is late but you could stick it in the notes. I think this group could develop a set of policy principles guiding an applicant support implementation, e.g.,1. Applicant support should be more about coaching and mentoring than financial support2. Financial support could be awarded for the application fee and early registry fees but be focused on making the registry self sufficient3. The support program should be publicized as broadly as the program itself4. The program should take into account that applicants will be unsophisticated and evaluations should be conducted with that understandingWe could knock this out in a couple hours. After we have a simple set of principles, we can turn that over to ICANN to start implementation now for iteration and discussion with the community.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):thx Kurt...  well worthwhile in my view

  Emily Barabas:@kurt - done!

  Sara Bockey:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nWljRzRgDQgmSlSxyf7G6f2Dv7XDoD01D30KfWhoHNw/edit?pli=1

  Jim Prendergast:if breach notices were issued, they would be on the compliance page and there are none.  Unclear if compliance was involved in this

  Jeff Neuman:How do you analyze the financial/business case without knowing the costs of the RSP?

  Rubens Kuhl:ICANN staff mentioned that one of the reasons for not triggering EBERO was lack of registrants to be protected. If a TLD only has nic.TLD, it's really not that useful to do a transition.

  Phil Buckingham: Great points , Donna - it is a question of the cart before the horse  for instance -. We wouldnt need the EBERO if the SLAs were raised. .

  Rubens Kuhl:Alan, there is currently an ongoing consensus call in WT4 proposing technical evaluation to be as aggregated as feasible. So even if that doesn't cover previous rounds like the 2012 one, it at least would already cover the next procedure.

  Jim Prendergast:the 27 times figure is one data point.  Some others were presented by ICANN Technical staff at the DNS Symposium.  Ive only seen the presentation (and not heard audio) but the stats on page 23 are broader than the 27 times figure.  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.icann.org_en_system_files_files_presentation-2Dslam-2D13may17-2Den.pdf <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.icann.org_en_system_files_files_presentation-2Dslam-2D13may17-2Den.pdf&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=wrVF8ge7Cw6yXiSc1fDGuOjdOqKlzyIW7ZXdtnrzx2w&s=BQrQhehRQ8DDFpXqnWmOXKx6F70oHKbvT7na8XsHna4&e> &d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=wrVF8ge7Cw6yXiSc1fDGuOjdOqKlzyIW7ZXdtnrzx2w&s=BQrQhehRQ8DDFpXqnWmOXKx6F70oHKbvT7na8XsHna4&e=

  Alan Greenberg:@Rubens, understood..

  Jeff Neuman:For the record, I think we have established a need for the program.  we just need to take Donna's comments into account when moving forward

  Jim Prendergast: I disagree with that Jeff

  Donna Austin, Neustar:@Jeff, I'm not sure we have.

  Jeff Neuman:Both in the Discussion Group, the Charter and previous discussions.....

  Karen Day:program or not we must remove barrier of having to choisecRSP before contention is resolved.

  Karen Day:*chosose*

  Karen Day:apologies for typos

  Jeff Neuman:Whether it is a "program" or just a pre-approval process, we have had a large number of calls on the benefits of this type of program/process/ or whatever we call it

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):hold off for more information

  Donna Austin, Neustar:@Jeff, perhaps its the terminology that you are using that we're sensitive to. I think we agreed there would be benefit in enable new entrants undergo an approval process prior to the next application window.

  Rubens Kuhl:Trang, I believe we should allow before or during, but not after.

  Rubens Kuhl:This was the topic of some CC2 comments that we need to take into account.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):yup

  Rubens Kuhl:While this PDP WG charter does include some topics applicable to current gTLDs, I believe this issue is not in our charter, at least for now.

  Terri Agnew:New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 1 - Overall Process/Support/Outreach Issue will take place on Tuesday, 13 June 2017 at 03:00 UTC for 60 minutes.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):thanks everyone...  bye for now then

  avri doria:bye

  Christopher Niemi:Thanks

  Rubens Kuhl:Bye @ll

  Trang Nguyen:Thanks, all! Bye!

  Katrin Ohlmer, DOTZON:thanks - and bye, everybody!