[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt1] Recording, Attendance, AC recording, AC Chat for New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 1 – Overall Process/Support/Outreach Issue

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Tue Sep 19 04:26:10 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance and recording of the call attached to this email. The AC recording and AC Chat are listed below for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 1 – Overall Process/Support/Outreach Issue held on Tuesday, 19 September 2017 at 03:00 UTC.

Adobe Connect recording:  <https://participate.icann.org/p7jvnfqk9ya/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=4c3b942c19b662a33da23668e40af4d353ba4e487e0fe89e2b7968116327ab8a> https://participate.icann.org/p7jvnfqk9ya/

The recordings of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:  <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar> http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

Agenda Wiki page:  <https://community.icann.org/x/8hkhB> https://community.icann.org/x/8hkhB

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 19 September 2017

  Terri Agnew:Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 1 - Overall Process/Support/Outreach Issue on Tuesday, 19 September 2017 at 03:00 UTC for 60 minutes

  Terri Agnew:agenda wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_8hkhB <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_8hkhB&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=6Z04n4A45NXawKHktu70Vv_OCWBrMjpF3hMxR8A5pYk&s=D8QkddagJbXemgRHm0gh6-NY6RInnqtXuqrAPB-5g9k&e> &d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=6Z04n4A45NXawKHktu70Vv_OCWBrMjpF3hMxR8A5pYk&s=D8QkddagJbXemgRHm0gh6-NY6RInnqtXuqrAPB-5g9k&e=

  Jeff Neuman:hello all

  Jeff Neuman:Looks like Alan and Justine are the only ones I can tell not in the contracted parties :)

  Jeff Neuman:I had hoped for more people given the tpic

  Jeff Neuman:topic

  Michael Flemming:Sorry, additional time means we will go over?

  Sara Bockey:Michael, possibly

  Michael Flemming:Undeerstood, thanks!

  Michael Flemming:Sarah, you are kind of soft

  Christa Taylor:No, we won't go over time

  Christa Taylor:We have a continuation as required on the schedule

  Michael Flemming:I see.

  Jonathan Robinson:Good to not go over time. Need to schedule additional meetings if required.

  Christa Taylor:Currently on slide 3

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):ok you have my right brain

  Justine Chew:@CLO: good one! *I still haven't figured out which side of my brain is where.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):three meetings at once sigh

  Michael Flemming:You only have two ears, how does that work? I've done the two, but usually rely on auto streamed transcripts for the third.

  Jonathan Robinson:@Sara. Sorry for referring to you as Christa. I have recently got up at 3:30 am!

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):ambient audio and that screen must be centre with ear and screen sides switched from the usual cross over

  Donna Austin, Neustar:who are these comments from?

  Donna Austin, Neustar:thanks Sara

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):yes Donna

  Jeff Neuman:I agree with Donna....we should forever change the term to pre-approval

  Jeff Neuman:@Sara - no need to apologize.  That is the term that was used in the charter

  Donna Austin, Neustar:no apology necessary Sara, we're reviewing comments that referred to RSP Accreditation Just wanted to flat it.

  Donna Austin, Neustar:sorry, flag it.

  Rubens Kuhl:Or a ranking system... (it should also not be)

  Donna Austin, Neustar:Agree with Jonathan and Rubens points.

  Jeff Neuman:Sorry Jonathan - that was my instruction to make it easier to find the themes

  Jonathan Robinson:@Jeff / Sara. It is helpful. I agree with the highlights in this case :-)

  Steve Chan:@Jonathan, all, to the extent the staff highlighting is not helpful, or even misleading, definitely let us know!

  Justine Chew:@Donna, excellent news.

  Sarah L Verisign:Pre-approval of ann RSP without making commensurate changes to the test cases used during PDT might not improve performance at all if you take ICANNs data into account detailing the number of  EBERO triggering incidents that are occurring.

  Jeff Neuman:For clarity - and I did not have a role in drafting the comments for Valideus - but those were not challenges, but rather statements addressing the challenges raised by others.

  Justine Chew:Could someone remind me of the difference between "accreditation" and "certification" plse?

  Donna Austin, Neustar:Justine, i don't think there is one.

  Justine Chew:@Donna, really?!

  Donna Austin, Neustar:Justine, in this discussion we have generally used them interchangeably. So I'm sure there is a difference, but in this context i don't believe there is.

  Rubens Kuhl:Justine, this is an area where there is the market reading of the terms and the ICANN reading of it. Usually, certification goes into deeper assessment and checking of a capability, while accreditation is lighter. But due to registrar relations that are called accreditation in ICANN world, people usually equate accreditaiton with a contract framework.

  Jeff Neuman:In the ICANN context, "Accreditation" generally means that based on your application, you are approved to perform certain services in the future....

  Jonathan Robinson:There was an earlier comment that an approval process could test the ability to scale. There is no evidence provided for the fact that this could be done effectively. Such a process goes beyond setting a minimum standard and (potentially) confers authority to the tester (ICANN) for performance testing beyond minimum standards

  Jeff Neuman:"Certification" is a process that evaluates performance and certifies that you have met the performance standards (based on past behavior)

  Jeff Neuman:So, Accreditation looks towards the future, Certification looks to the past

  Jeff Neuman:But....that said....I am not sure that the comments here make that distinction and Donna is right that they use the terms interchangeably

  Justine Chew:Noted. Thanks, Jeff. Thanks, Donna.

  Jonathan Robinson:@Jeff. Agreed that one could argue for a disctinction but they do seem to have been used interchangablly here

  Justine Chew:Thanks Rubens.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):they would be crazy not to Donna

  Rubens Kuhl:Scalability problems could be number of TLDs, number of DUMs or number of  peak transactions. Usually the later is the one that hits more frequently.

  Jeff Neuman:They also need to provide supporting documentation to show evidence of their scalability.

  Jeff Neuman:So, it would not just be affirmatively making that assertion, but demonstrating their ability

  Rubens Kuhl:There is one small technical function that is linked to number of TLDs in DNSSEC, but it's unusual to hit such a problem.

  Rubens Kuhl:The more features of a registry system ICANN evaluates, the more liability it creates if such infrastructure doesn't deliver on that promise.

  Jonathan Robinson:@Rubens. Agreed.

  Christa Taylor:Slide 13

  Donna Austin, Neustar:Agree with Jonathan, the pre-approval process is intended to establish that the potential RSP has the technical wherewithal to run a registry.

  Jonathan Robinson:Apologies. Old hand.

  Rubens Kuhl:And since new gTLDs are not getting the gigantic registration volumes once foreseen, scability concerns seem overzealous at this point.

  Donna Austin, Neustar:Good point Rubens, and also highlight the difficulties associated with predicting registration volumes.

  Rubens Kuhl:I don't see why we should stipulate ICANN doing it itself or outsourcing it.

  Donna Austin, Neustar:Can I make a quick comment before we move on?

  Jonathan Robinson:@Rubens. Agreed. Being responsible for it doesn't mean actually doing it

  Christa Taylor:I'll add to open that up next call

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):thanks everyone bye 👋 for now

  Donna Austin, Neustar:thanks Jonathan

  Rubens Kuhl:Bye all!

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):👋

  Jonathan Robinson:Thank-you!