[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt1] Recordings, attendance & AC Chat New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team ­ Track 1 ­ Overall Process/Support/Outreach Issue call on Tuesday, 09 January 2018

Vanda Scartezini vanda at scartezini.org
Thu Apr 5 17:34:51 UTC 2018

Guess I have already talked about this. The largest bank in brazil, with branches in Europe and US have applied for its TLD they asked for a letter of credit. Among banks only if are almost bankrupted that you will ask a “security”  as a letter of credit from another bank. I personally ( since I was helping them to apply) talked with the external groups to explain how the financing system works, all the accounts from the bank were open ( the bank is of course in the stock market, controlled by central bank etc so the amount of money to pay or implemented the TLD was almost ridiculous for the bank comparing with its billions of public informed profit they had December of the year before. Even then took me several hours phone call, explanations etc etc etc to finally they accept the bank itself guarantee.
The problem is the different legislation in each country the examiners did not access before hand to deal with the case. Best solution, if the accounts are public in the stock marked and is large enough to buy ICANN many times I believe the rule shall be something in a better English:
 “Letter of credit is needed only if applicant’s  annual accounts are not public and  accessible and showing  an amount of profit that shows at least  X times the expected cost of the whole implementation of the domain”
my 2 cents.

Vanda Scartezini
Polo Consultores Associados
Av. Paulista 1159, cj 1004