[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt2] recording, Attendance & AC Chat for New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 2 – Legal/Regulatory Issues 18 August 2016

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Thu Aug 18 22:18:29 UTC 2016

Dear All,

Please find the attendance and recording of the call attached to this email and the AC Chat below for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 2 – Legal/Regulatory Issues held on Thursday, 18 August 2016 at 20:00 UTC.
<http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-new-gtld-subsequent-16may16-en.mp3>

The recordings of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#nov>

Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/FwSbAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 18 August 2016

  Terri Agnew:Welcome to the first call for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 2 – Legal/Regulatory Issues held on Thursday, 18 August 2016 at 20:00 UTC.

  Terri Agnew:wiki agenda page: https://community.icann.org/x/2QisAw

  Terri Agnew:A list of Sub Team participants can be found at https://community.icann.org/x/uw2bAw

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Jeff I am about to briefly step away   Be back soon ..  Here though !

  Jeff Neuman:thx

  Emily Barabas:loading...

  Terri Agnew:synce is turned on, everyone can scroll themselves

  Julie Hedlund:@Jeff: The slides are up and unsynced.

  Alexander Schubert:Is it normal that I hear nothing?

  Phil Marano (Mayer Brown):We can hear you

  Mike Rodenbaugh:i hear fine

  Emily Barabas:work in progress

  Avri Doria:you are soft spoken - hard to hear

  Steve Coates:Much better.

  Terri Agnew:@Alexandar, are you still unable to hear? can you join via telephone? I am also sending you a private AC chat

  Phil Buckingham:Hi  everyone , sorry  I m only on audio here .

  Terri Agnew:@Phil , I am sending you a private AC Chat

  Michael Flemming:Let me call in

  Alexander Schubert:fine all here

  Alexander Schubert::-)

  Avri Doria:is there a preference in the sub group for a single leader or co-leaders?

  Gg Levine:I'm good with co-leaders.

  Phil Buckingham:sorry jeff not on yet

  Terri Agnew:to active mic on AC ,  or to join via telephone select telephone icon and follow prompts

 Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):ergh to 0300  This is better for me

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):my real work occasionally needs attention as well

  Michael Flemming:Just about to call in here.

  susan payne:late :)

  Phil Buckingham:Terri , can u dial my mobile ( here in The UK )

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):I'm in a hospital bed and the other patients are sleeping Jeff

  Phil Buckingham:Ok will do

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):thus my unusual mutedness

  susan payne:jeff you are really quiet

  Steve Coates:Breaking up, Jeff.

  Emily Barabas:Here is Michael's SOI: https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosoi/Michael+Flemming+SOI

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Be good to have you as a Co- Lead Michael

  Heather Forrest:hooray!

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):You just need coffe Heather

  susan payne:entirely reasonable Michael

  Terri Agnew:Phil is on audio

  Emily Barabas:And Phil's SOI: https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosoi/Phil+Buckingham+SOI

  susan payne:nope

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):YEAH

  Greg Shatan:Jeff and Terri, please mute

  Phil Marano (Mayer Brown):Oh dear.

  Terri Agnew:as reminder, turn down your computer speakers

  Avri Doria:we can all dance to the techno sounds of chirping

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):turn your speakers OFF

  Greg Shatan:I love electronic music.

  Robert Burlingame (Pillsbury):Ahhh

  Michael Flemming:Can hear you

  Emily Barabas:We can hear you

  Mike Rodenbaugh:great speech, R2

  Terri Agnew:dialing Phil back

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Your on

  Greg Shatan:Well that was interesting.

  Greg Shatan:He may have been muted as the sonic culprit.

  Alexander Schubert:People have to use HEADSETS - no Laptops....

  Terri Agnew:Phil is back on audio

  Greg Shatan:We should be better at this by now....

  Emily Barabas:Phil Buckingham SOI: https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosoi/Phil+Buckingham+SOI

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):great

  Michael Flemming:In the interest of Phil's request for a lawyer, I will make sure to mention that I am not a lawyer.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):sorted then

  Steve Coates:Guilty as charged.

  Robert Burlingame (Pillsbury):I'm an attorney but o..k. with the co-leaders not being attorneys

  Kevin Kreuser (Go Daddy):if there are enough of us legal birds on the group, I dont think the leaders need to be

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):we have no shortage in the group

  susan payne:lots of lawyers in group

  Phil Marano (Mayer Brown):+1

  Vicky Sheckler:agre

  Avri Doria:no group leader comes with ALL the skills of the group

  Gg Levine:Agree

  Kevin Kreuser (Go Daddy):+1

  Steve Coates:+1

  Robert Burlingame (Pillsbury):+1

  Michael Flemming:Look forward to the challenge

  Greg Shatan:Leaders should be faciliators, not leading experts.  If our output can only be understood by lawyers, we will have failed.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):agree GREG

  Phil Buckingham:+1 Michael  !

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Sorry  Caps Greg

  Greg Shatan:At least you didn't say GREC....

  Kevin Kreuser (Go Daddy):COI needs to go away

  Kurt Pritz:Is another group taking up the issue of whether there should be categories and, if so, how many? That effrot and the issue of contract differentiation should be in lock-step.

  Kurt Pritz:"effort"

  Gg Levine:Please remind me of what Spec 11 Section 3d states

  Mike Rodenbaugh:I'm very confused about the apparent overlap of many of these topics with the Subsequent Rounds PDP.

  Mike Rodenbaugh:How do we avoid duplication of effort or inconsistent outcomes

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):It may get messy Mike without careful watching on the overlaps

  Sara Bockey:someone needs to mute their mic

  Mike Rodenbaugh:I mean among the work teams, sorry Jeff

  Mike Rodenbaugh:I guess that's your job!

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):I understood you to mean that MIKE

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Someone needs to mute

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Nexis and dependeencies  Yes noted Jeff

  Heather Forrest:agree with your summary, Jeff

  Heather Forrest:I assume Council will communicate the letter to you very soon - August is a slow month for us

  Avri Doria:One of the questions that are part of considerations in repsonding to the Boards letter is the degree to which the council or the SubPro group beleives that PDP need to have segements recommendations.

  Kurt Pritz:@Gg: Spec 11 is the prohibition of a single-registrant TLD (for TLds that are dictionary or generic terms. It states, "  Registry Operator of a “Generic String” TLD may not impose eligibility criteria for registering names in the TLD that limit registrations exclusively to a single person or entity and/or that person’s or entity’s “Affiliates” (as defined in Section 2.9(c) of the Registry Agreement). “Generic String” means a string consisting of a word or term that denominates or describes a general class of goods, services, groups, organizations or things, as opposed to distinguishing a specific brand of goods, services, groups, organizations or things from those of others.  "

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Agreed Avri

 Gg Levine:Thank you, Kurt.

  Emily Barabas:work in progress

  Avri Doria:the group may also reprioritize which would change the schedules

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Of course

  Robert Burlingame (Pillsbury):Thank you everyone

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Thanks everyone  talk again soon  Bye for now

  Michael Flemming 2:Thank you

  Phil Marano (Mayer Brown):Goodbye