[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt2] The Case for a Single Registry Agreement

Mike Rodenbaugh mike at rodenbaugh.com
Thu Dec 15 17:46:05 UTC 2016

I agree with Kurt on this, but would add a few comments for consideration
as well.  The last round did teach us that categories will be gamed,
especially re so-called "community" applications, if there is benefit to
fitting the category (i.e. priority over non-community applications).  On
the other hand, the "brand" category did become well-defined, and Spec 13
proved sensible, repeatable and not subject to gaming.  Unfortunately ICANN
does not have a "smoothly running" RSEP process, and even the Spec 13
process got bogged down for individual brands in many cases.  I think that
is a staffing issue, perhaps, and ICANN should commit to processing Spec 13
and any other sensible, repeatable category exemptions in a more timely
manner.  But generally I agree that it makes more sense to have a uniform,
base Registry Agreement, and then have defined category exemptions that are
easily implementable once they are agreed by the community -- but most
importantly, these should be limited and should not provide any advantage
in the application process.

Mike Rodenbaugh
RODENBAUGH LAW
tel/fax:  +1.415.738.8087