[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt2] Agenda for WT2 Meeting 13 April 2017 at 21:00 UTC

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Thu Apr 13 15:46:13 UTC 2017

Another part of our discussion on this issue in the first Round (for
better formatting, please read it from the link)

Letter to Fadi, Steve, Akram, Alain and Heather Dryden, September 24, 2012
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/neylon-et-al-to-chehade-et-al-24sep12-en.pdf

The rapid growth and adoption of the Internet over the past two decades
hastransformed the lives of billions of people, and reinvented
communication,
commerce, and society. Countless economic and cultural barriers have
been eliminated as a direct result of the freedom of choice and openness
made
possible by the Internet.

Notably, the stated goals underlying ICANN’s current efforts to expand
the Domain Name System (DNS) by adding new generic Top-Level Domains
(gTLDs) are to “increase competition and choice.”

We, the undersigned individuals and organizations, support those goals
wholeheartedly and without reservation.

However, we are concerned that some pending gTLD applications seek to be
operated in a “closed” manner in reliance upon Section 6 of
Specification 1 (“Registry Operator Code of Conduct”) in Module 5 (“Base
New gTLD Agreement”) of the Applicant Guidebook, which provides:
/Registry Operator may request an exemption to this Code of Conduct, and
such//
//exemption may be granted by ICANN in ICANN's reasonable discretion, if
Registry Operator demonstrates to ICANN's reas//
//onable satisfaction that (i) all domain name registrations in the TLD
are registered to, and maintained by, Registry Operator for its own
exclusive use, (ii) Registry Operator does not sell,//
//distribute or transfer control or use of any registrations in the TLD
to any third party that is not an Affiliate of Registry Operator, and
(iii) application of this Code//
//of Conduct to the TLD is not necessary to protect the public interest.//
/
Based on our collective industry experience, we are of the opinion that
the underlying intention of Section 6 was to allow for the operation of
closed gTLDs
only under very defined circumstances. Specifically, that closed gTLDs
should be reserved for only those strings in which
the applicant possesses established (i.e., legally recognized)
intellectual property rights, basically brand names.
We believe that this interpretation of Section 6 is inherently logical
especially in view of the discussions that preceded the opening
of gTLDs--which focused, in very large part, on expanding choices and
opportunities as well as promoting innovation, for Internet consumers
worldwide.

Further, generic words used in a generic way belong to all people. It is
inherently
in the public interest to allow access to generic new gTLDs to the whole
of the Internet Community, e.g., .BLOG, .MUSIC, .CLOUD. Allowing everyone to
register and use second level domain names of these powerful, generic
TLDs is
exactly what we envisioned the New gTLD Program would do. In contrast, to
allow individual Registry Operators to segregate and close-off common
words for
which they do not possess intellectual property rights in effect allows
them to
circumvent nation-states’ entrenched legal processes for obtaining
legitimate and
recognized trademark protections.

Accordingly, we respectfully request that ICANN clarify the
circumstances under
which the Section 6 exemption shall apply, and if necessary, allow
applicants to
amend their applications to comply with such clarification.

As an alternative, the Applicant could demonstrate that they have
internationally
established and exclusive rights to the string in question, and that it
is not a
generic term.

Our goal, as always, is to foster consumer choice and nurture a free and
open
Internet.
With sincere thanks for your consideration,
Michele Neylon, Blacknight
Scott Pinzon, former Director of Marketing and Outreach, ICANN
Luc Seufer, EuroDNS
Francesco Cetraro
Nigel Roberts
Chris Kurk, DomainPeople Inc