[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt2] Agenda for WT2 Meeting 13 April 2017 at 21:00 UTC

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Sat Apr 15 18:29:35 UTC 2017

Dear All,

I also urge you (like in many other aspects in the next round) to look at abuse potential! In the 2000/2004 and 2012 round we had by large this situation:

*         Applicants applied in good faith

*         Applicants ran a “old fashioned” type registry:

o   Registrants register SLDs through registrars at the registry

o   ICANN’s regulations adhere:

*  WHOIS requirements,

*  registrations are guaranteed and cannot be revoked,

*  pricing is stable and can (if) only changed across the board: not just for one domain!

o   The domain would ALWAYS route to the name servers of the registrant:

*  day and night

*  regardless from which location the query stems

*  regardless whether from a mobile device or landline Internet

I can only assume that if generic keyword based gTLDs could be applied for and operated as “closed” TLD all or part that would change drastically!

*         The domains would maybe be “leased” – and not registered! Example: CentralNic’s pseudo third level “registrations” under ll.com SLDs like de.com!

*         The entire TLD (like de.com as well for example) might be sold to a third party – which might NOT honor the leases (so all domains would stop routing to the desired locations)

*         There might not be ANY “WHOIS”

*         Once a domain picks up traffic (and through the zone log files the registry would know) the “lease” could rise for that particular one domain (just like a lease of a commercial building rises if a bar or club has extraordinary success)´.

*         The domains might not always or in all occasions route to the desired name servers directly – the registry could split off mobile traffic and add advertisement for example!

*         There could be shade deals like: “Your domain for free if we can route every 10th visitor our way” – and then monetarizing the traffic for 20 seconds after that reroute it to the original page

I have not really enough phantasy here – there might be much worse out there. Once we kiss the ICANN requirements “good bye” there could be ALL KIND of strange behavior – and in a closed generic it would be perfectly legal!

So I say: There must be EXTRAORDINARY hurdles for closed TLDs. Doesn’t matter whether based on a “generic term” or not: Is “.xyz” generic? Is “.abc” generic? Is “.wtf” generic?

The rule could be:

*         You have to be a brand – and prove it (just having a trademark doesn’t do the trick)!

*         The string shouldn’t match anything in any dictionary (unless you are a “global brand” like “sun” or “united”)

*          And you can use that TLD ONLY for your brand.

Up till 2012 only ICANN insiders applied for TLDs. In the next round the ENTIRE GLOBE knows what a “new gTLD” is – and it will be more than easy to apply for one as there will be a MYRIAD of “consultancies” which offer cheap “one stop” solutions incl. application writing, RSP services, contracting with ICANN, registry in a box software, ICANN compliance, registrar onboarding and what not. There will be shady applicants, there will be straight out criminal subjects. And ICANN’s “purity test” will not keep them away.

Sorry for being so negative – but better to raise awareness now than later having to hear “but oh my God: who would have THOUGHT?”.

Thanks,

Alexander