[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt2] Recordings, Attendance & AC Chat from New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team ­ Track 2 ­ Legal/Regulatory Issues call on Thursday, 14 September 2017 03:00 UTC

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Thu Sep 14 08:28:45 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance and recording of the call attached to this email.
The AC recording and AC Chat are listed below for the New gTLD Subsequent
Procedures Sub Team - Track 2 - Legal/Regulatory Issues held on Thursday, 14
September 2017 at 03:00 UTC.

Adobe Connect recording :    https://participate.icann.org/p18nw3eloxp/

The recordings of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-newgtld-wg-wt2

Agenda Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/9hkhB

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 14 September 2017

 Michelle DeSmyter:Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team -
Track 2 Legal/Regulatory Issues call on Thursday, 14 September 2017 at 03:00
UTC for 60 minutes.

  Michelle DeSmyter:Agenda wiki page:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_9
hkhB
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_
9hkhB&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6T
mF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=5NatGh4BgzA-POFAy6_OCD
hu0lujKGTXeD3PaGBRxN8&s=m9SERfdwoFfC7OYAUL1PMT4uutjgecOFJpMWB8jgUt4&e=>
&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zm
yci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=5NatGh4BgzA-POFAy6_OCDhu0lu
jKGTXeD3PaGBRxN8&s=m9SERfdwoFfC7OYAUL1PMT4uutjgecOFJpMWB8jgUt4&e=

  Jeff Neuman:Will we get to 15 participants?

  Michael Flemming:I'm only logged in on my phone so that must be an
imposter me

  clo:sorry I am on my mobile phone we have lost landline phone lines it
seems

  Michael Flemming:closed generics

  Michael Flemming:not registrant protection

  Justine Chew:Do we know if Jannik Skou represents any stakeholder group?
Is his (potentially) the only comment from a non-commercial group?

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon
Registry):https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.linkedin.
com_in_jannikskou_
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.linkedin.com_in_ja
nnikskou_&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqs
LT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=5NatGh4BgzA-POFAy6
_OCDhu0lujKGTXeD3PaGBRxN8&s=7P8M-7KHhx0V1gwYTqvHlka9lz6RjFyVq44wSBjev9M&e=>
&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zm
yci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=5NatGh4BgzA-POFAy6_OCDhu0lu
jKGTXeD3PaGBRxN8&s=7P8M-7KHhx0V1gwYTqvHlka9lz6RjFyVq44wSBjev9M&e=

  Emily Barabas:Jannik Skou SOI:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_dis
play_gnsosoi_Jannik-2BSkou-2BSOI
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_di
splay_gnsosoi_Jannik-2BSkou-2BSOI&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6s
Jms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsj
Wv9&m=5NatGh4BgzA-POFAy6_OCDhu0lujKGTXeD3PaGBRxN8&s=lqd0D43VH3fFcKNyAb-scHJQ
B1XremYoXE9QTBz-zUw&e=>
&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zm
yci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=5NatGh4BgzA-POFAy6_OCDhu0lu
jKGTXeD3PaGBRxN8&s=lqd0D43VH3fFcKNyAb-scHJQB1XremYoXE9QTBz-zUw&e=

  Justine Chew:Right, thanks. Then his is not a "community" comment.

  Justine Chew:@Jeff, yes that's what I wanted to get at. Thanks.

  Justine Chew:@Avri, thanks for the clarification.

  Heather Forrest:Norway

  Jim Prendergast:I agree we need to ask the GAC to clarify. I don't think
anyone wants to try and interpret what the GAC says

  Heather Forrest:International law requires that jurisdictions protect
signs 9including generic terms) that have acquired distinctiveness.

  Justine Chew:Yes, TM protection also based on classes of goods/service.

  Michael Flemming:yes distinctiveness

  Trang Nguyen:Implementation of GAC Category 2 Advice (exclusive access)
can be viewed at:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__newgtlds.icann.org_en_a
pplicants_advisories_gac-2Dcat2-2Dadvice-2D19mar14-2Den
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__newgtlds.icann.org_en_
applicants_advisories_gac-2Dcat2-2Dadvice-2D19mar14-2Den&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJ
p6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqES
Ge_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=5NatGh4BgzA-POFAy6_OCDhu0lujKGTXeD3PaGBRxN8&s=q
qu2ivanYpgfctUra76x5wU_C32cuItbRXSKNby4apE&e=>
&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zm
yci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=5NatGh4BgzA-POFAy6_OCDhu0lu
jKGTXeD3PaGBRxN8&s=qqu2ivanYpgfctUra76x5wU_C32cuItbRXSKNby4apE&e=

  Heather Forrest:Yes - context is a significant part of consumer
recognition

  Trang Nguyen:There were 12 applicants that stated that it was their intent
to operate exclusive access registries. ICANN asked those applicants to
provide a response for how the proposed exclusive registry access serves a
public interest goal.

  Trang Nguyen:I can't recall how many of the 12 ultimately decided to stay
exclusive access. Let me do some checking.

  Justine Chew:Fine balance between "changing goal-posts" and "moving
forward with the times".

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):did everyone else just lose audio or
just me?

  Michelle DeSmyter:Jeff, we are not able to hear you

  Justine Chew:Lost audio

  Jim Prendergast:hung up instead of unmuting

  Jim Prendergast:dialing back

  Jeff Neuman:Thanks Jim.  Let us know when you are back in

  Michael Flemming 2:Our decisions can allow for paths that back track to
2012 applicants

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):no audio in

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):sorry Aug winds playing havock....

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Hard to hear

  Michael Flemming 2:Thanks Jeff, gotta drop

  Trang Nguyen:Of the 12 that initially indicated they will operate as
exclusive registries, 7 withdrew, 1 obtained a Spec 13 (FOOD), the remaining
5 signed the RA, which includes Spec 11. Spec 11 has a provision that says:
"Registry              Operator            of           a
"Generic             String"  TLD        may              not        impose
eligibility             criteria  for         registering          names
in           the        TLD        that       limit      registrations
exclusively              to           a            single    person  or
entity    and/or  that              person's             or
entity's "Affiliates"         (as         defined in              Section
2.9(c)    of           the        Registry              Agreement).
"Generic             String"  means  a            string    consisting
of              a            word     or          term      that
denominates     or              describes            a            general
class      of           goods,  services,              groups, organizations
or          things,  as          opposed             to
distinguishing    a            specific brand   of           goods,
services,              groups, organizations    or          things   from
those    of              others."

  Trang Nguyen:sorry about that copy/paste

  Trang Nguyen:Of the 12 that initially indicated they will operate as
exclusive registries, 7 withdrew, 1 obtained a Spec 13 (FOOD), the remaining
5 signed the RA, which includes Spec 11. Spec 11 has a provision that says:
"Registry Operator of a "Generic String" TLD may not impose eligibility
criteria for registering names in the TLD that limit registrations
exclusively to a single person or entity and/or that person's or entity's
"Affiliates" (as defined in Section 2.9(c) of the Registry Agreement).
"Generic String" means a string consisting of a word or term that
denominates or describes a general class of goods, services, groups,
organizations or things, as opposed to distinguishing a specific brand of
goods, services, groups, organizations or things from those of others."

  Trang Nguyen:Sorry, that should say remaining "4"

  Trang Nguyen:The 4 are .GROCERY, .DVR, .DATA, .PHONE

  Justine Chew:@Trang, thanks, useful info.

  Emily Barabas:Full comment from NORID is available here:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_spreads
heets_d_1tcWZt1bdoYH7vJl2Yi9G0jah7QzyhqU99tXnl3qV0rc_edit-23gid-3D1963024039
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_spread
sheets_d_1tcWZt1bdoYH7vJl2Yi9G0jah7QzyhqU99tXnl3qV0rc_edit-23gid-3D196302403
9&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Z
myci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=5NatGh4BgzA-POFAy6_OCDhu0l
ujKGTXeD3PaGBRxN8&s=VZSMgalZMo--OttD8W15b-trWEbbjscQZ7aknhV_l4E&e=>
&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zm
yci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=5NatGh4BgzA-POFAy6_OCDhu0lu
jKGTXeD3PaGBRxN8&s=VZSMgalZMo--OttD8W15b-trWEbbjscQZ7aknhV_l4E&e=

  Trang Nguyen:Safeway's GROCERY was withdrawn. The one that was delegated
is from Wal-Mart.

  Heather Forrest:None, thank you Jeff

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):Good night.

  Justine Chew:Thanks!

  avri doria:bye