[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt3] recording, Attendance & AC Chat for New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 3 – String Contention, Objections & Disputes held on Tuesday, 13 September 2016 at 03:00 UTC.

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Tue Sep 13 04:05:55 UTC 2016

Dear All,

Please find the attendance and recording of the call attached to this email and the AC Chat below for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 3 – String Contention, Objections & Disputes held on Tuesday, 13 September 2016 at 03:00 UTC.

The recordings of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#nov>

Wiki page:  https://community.icann.org/x/GwSbAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 13 September 2016

   Terri Agnew:Welcome to the  New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 3 – String Contention, Objections & Disputes held onTuesday, 13 September 2016 at 03:00 UTC

  Terri Agnew:wiki agenda page: https://community.icann.org/x/uRWsAw

  Jeff Neuman:we can hear you

  Jeff Neuman:Cheryl....whats for lunch today

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):it was a cheese toasty with green tomatoe pickle  Jeff  (on home made 9 grain bread :-)

  Jeff Neuman:looks good

  Jeff Neuman:Excited to have Karen join us

  Steve Chan:Avri, I can hear you, but it's pretty quiet.

  Jeff Neuman:much

  Jeff Neuman:I will forward that letter to the full WG shortly (in the next 12-24 hours)

  Jeff Neuman:I am good

  Jeff Neuman:you did a good job avri

  Jeff Neuman:Given the attendance, at first we should rotate

  Mike Rodenbaugh:I think we must rotate,, to be fair to everyone

  Jeff Neuman:Its a bad time for Europeans

  Jeff Neuman:And I know a bunch a Europeans on this group that want to participate

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):They will do

  Mike Rodenbaugh:fine with me

  Jeff Neuman:Lets keep these to avoid duplication with other working groups

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):rotation is fine with me, too.

  Jeff Neuman:2 weeks to start

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):fortnightly (at this stage)

  Mike Rodenbaugh:every two weeks,.  maybe we can go faster as we get later in the work

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):agree with every 2 weeks.

  Steve Chan:https://community.icann.org/x/GwSbAw

  Jeff Neuman:Those are all references to the original 2007 policy FYI

  Mike Rodenbaugh:sorry, what is the question?

  Jeff Neuman:Prioritization amongst the topics

  Jeff Neuman:So we have Objections as one topic, string contention (which includes CPE) is another

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Agree Mike

  Mike Rodenbaugh:String contention also includes auctions?

  Jeff Neuman:We could go in chronological order of the application process...that would be string similarity first.....

  Jeff Neuman:We could look at plurals vs. singulars

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):We should  YES

  Jeff Neuman:Sorry...i meant string similarity

  Jeff Neuman:not contentions....sorry

  Mike Rodenbaugh:string contention is String Similarity, and Auctions?  or is there anything else?

  Jeff Neuman:So we can do (1) String Similarity, (2) Objections, (3) String contentions (which will dpend on how we choose to accept applications)

  Steve Chan:FYI, the subjects identified as high interest by the CCT-RT are string similarity, objections, and community applications...to the extent that changes our work plan.

  Mike Rodenbaugh:objections are limited public interest, community, string similarity and legal rights of others (LRO), right?

  Jeff Neuman:If we go forward with just first-come first served acceptancce of TLD applications, there would be no String Contention

  Mike Rodenbaugh:then we should not waste our time.... and we should do Objections first and see what happens with rounds v. FCFS?

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):Is Independent Objector in this WT or WT2?

  Jeff Neuman:This one

  Mike Rodenbaugh:makes sense since IO could bring two types of objections

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):SO some order in resolving certisn issues needs to be applied then Jeff??

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):Agree with Mike that we should do objections first, but for slightly different reason  String confusion objection work could inform the string similarity/contention work so suggest doing the objection first.

  Jeff Neuman:@Kristina - I would be good with that

  Jeff Neuman:and that makes sense

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):With our luck, we'd decide to do FCFS, skip string contention, and then 2 applicants file at the same tie for the same string. :-(

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):time

  Jeff Neuman:One thing that we may want staff to do is to deliver a report to us on all of the objections filed (number of each type of objection and who prevailed)

  Jeff Neuman:We also need to make sure under objections that we cover GAC Early Warnings and GAC Objections

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):+1 Jeff. That type of report would be very useful.  I think it would also be helpful for the report to include information on the objections for which the outcome was the subject of an accountability mechanism (which could be one metric for identifying "problems" with an objection category as implemented)

  Steve Chan:Principle G: The string evaluation process must not infringe the applicant's freedom of expression rights that are protected under internationally recognized principles of law.

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):I'd add Principle A:  New generic top-level domains (gTLDs) must be introduced in an orderly, timely and predictable way.

  Jeff Neuman:That is Mike Rodenbaugh talking

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):Agree with Mike.  But, I do think we should review the Principles and Recommendations as a yardstick for the objection (etc) implementation

  Mike Rodenbaugh:agree with Kristina... Principle A is critical, and has not been implemented so well

  Jeff Neuman:I think a number of principles relate to the objections

  Jeff Neuman:but its been a while since we looked at them

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):sorry. Super loud construction so can't come off mute right now.

  Jeff Neuman:And I wil lforward that letter to the full group ASAP

  Mike Rodenbaugh:all sounds good to me.  Thanks Jian for stepping up to help lead this group!  We will have a lot of work to do.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):indeed we do Mike

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):thanks Jian

  Jeff Neuman:Good job Jian!

  Terri Agnew:The next New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 3 – String Contention, Objections & Disputes will take place on Tuesday, 27 September 2016 at 15:00 UTC, invite will be sent shortly.

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):I have a request:  Would it be possible for staff to pull together a list of the work that's been done on these categories (objection reports, etc.)?

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):To be clear, I'm not asking for a new report - just a list of what already exists

  Steve Chan:@Kristina, anything specific you might be looking for? Perhaps who the work might have been done by?

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):@Steve:  Not really.  I seem to recall that WIPO did an LRO report. There's the staff implementation report.  I suspect that there are others.

  Terri Agnew:GNSO calls including track calls are also on the GNSO Calendars: https://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

  Avri Doria:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qwr41BesyvDQBnqF_gBQlHfJlRkOGrjHa26iFYU41ac/edit

  Steve Chan:@Kristina, does the last action item capture your request?

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):As it seems my request for call details was a problem, I apologize - and note that I didn't join the WT until after the call details were sent.

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):@Steve:  yes, thank you!

  Avri Doria:put this one in your bookmarks

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Thanks Jian, thanks everyone talk again soon...  Bye for now then...  Sorry I have been mainly mute but I an n 2 meetings at once at the moment ...

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):Thanks, Jian.  Great job on leading your first call!

  Avri Doria:Thanks.