[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt3] UPDATED Mp3, Attendance, AC Chat & AC Recording for New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team - Track 3 - String Contention, Objections & Disputes call on Monday, 10 April 2017

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Tue Apr 11 14:24:37 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance and audio recording of the call attached to this email and the Adobe Connect recording (visual and audio) and AC Chat below for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 3 – String Contention, Objections & Disputes held on Monday, 10 April 2017 at 20:00 UTC.

Adobe Connect Recording: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-new-gtld-subsequent-track3-10apr17-en.mp3

The recordings of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

Agenda Wiki page:  https://community.icann.org/x/fczRAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 10 April 2017

 Michelle DeSmyter:Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 3 – String Contention, Objections & Disputes on Tuesday, 10 April 2017 at 20:00 UTC for 60 minutes.
  Michelle DeSmyter:Meeting wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_fczRAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=d_Vxu25zMF9Pp4sAw4YsmjhRnIunC46v3AWhJEnzs1I&s=2X-3THwEZoDzranInDXH8jetqj3pH1PWIZ2d1pvvHnY&e=
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):is audio ok ...not hearing anything
  Michelle DeSmyter:yes - I will send you a private chat Cheryl
  Paul McGrady:Would be helpful to have them explain who the Counsel of Europe is.
  avri doria:Paul, you habe not heard of the Council of Europe?
  Paul McGrady:I have, but it would be good to have clarity. "Council of Europe" sounds governmental, but it is my understanding that they are not the government.
  Rubens Kuhl:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Europe
  Paul McGrady:If no one is here from the Council of Europe, perhaps we should just all read it on our own.
  Rubens Kuhl:"Unlike the EU, the Council of Europe cannot make binding laws, but it does have the power to enforce select international agreements reached by European states on various topics. The best known body of the Council of Europe is the European Court of Human Rights, which enforces the European Convention on Human Rights."
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):yup
  avri doria:they are a treaty organization that is rather governmental.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):welcome aboard Anne 😁
  Emily Barabas:For those who would like to revisit the recommendations in the COE report, they are included in the slides currently in the AC room. Everyone has scroll control.
  Rubens Kuhl:My take is that we have to consider it.
  Julie Hedlund:@All: As emily notes for reference see slides 7 and 8.
  Paul McGrady:Thanks Avri.  Would be nice to have someone from the CoE on the line to address their status.  Sounds fuzzy and I'd like to understand how much weight we should be giving to their recommendations.  Also, would be nice to know if the CoE voted to adopt this report or if it just went out under their auspices.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):agree @Avri... damn close to it if not
  Steve Chan:I do not believe it is GAC Advice at this time, although I've only re-skimmed the GAC Communique: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.icann.org_en_system_files_correspondence_gac-2Dto-2Dicann-2D15mar17-2Den.pdf&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=d_Vxu25zMF9Pp4sAw4YsmjhRnIunC46v3AWhJEnzs1I&s=DcNfVOrFbPgsG9nzONZxwTSr9u8LOt6DPELkpNbfWa8&e=
  Robin Gross:GAC Advice applies to the board
  Paul McGrady:GAC Consensus Advice applies to the Board unless the Board votes it down.  There has been no notice of an up or down vote yet by the Board, so the best we can say about the content in the Copenhagen Communique is that it might be binding on the Board someday.
  avri doria:Right but if we know something is dvice, or likely to be advice, we ought to consider it carefully and deal with the issues brought up. Saves the end game difficulties we wish to avoid.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):depends from my POV
  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):I guess it was not under the heading of GAC Consensus Advice - it was just a recommendation for full consideration:
  Paul McGrady:@Avri - agree that it behooves us to take it seriously in our process, but we also can't let the GAC instruct policy to the GNSO.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):yes to clarity
  Gg Levine (NABP):@Robin: I agree that there is a need for greater clarity.
  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):from the GAC:  "Community-based gTLD applications: Following the Council of Europe's submission to theGAC at ICANN 57 of their report “Applications to ICANN for community-based new gTLDs:Opportunities and Challenges from a Human Rights Perspective”, a presentation of thereport's recommendations was provided by one of the authors. The GAC expressessupport for these recommendations going forward for further consideration by the NewgTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP Working Group."
  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):Thanks Steve - very helpful.
  Rubens Kuhl:I don't think we need to go to this level of ad-hominem; someone wrote this, someone else seemed to agree, we need to consider it, doesn't matter who are those someones.
  Paul McGrady:Robin - is it a new right or is often already the right of likeminded people to assemble?
  Paul McGrady:+1 Avri
  Alan Greenberg:Sorry for being late. Meeting not on my agenda!
  Paul McGrady:This is great.  It sounds like there may be some different views on how to fix it, but it doesn't sound like anyone is saying the way we did it last time doesn't need fixing.
  Emily Barabas:For more detail on the CPE, see AGB beginning on p193, section 4.2.3: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__newgtlds.icann.org_en_applicants_agb_guidebook-2Dfull-2D04jun12-2Den.pdf&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=d_Vxu25zMF9Pp4sAw4YsmjhRnIunC46v3AWhJEnzs1I&s=V5BNCSfOhuT2z1H3jjowyxQpfG9-zC6FtwpxtERTn2Q&e=
  Rubens Kuhl:We need to fix it, for sure.
  Emily Barabas:Note the recommendations on the screen are excerpted. For full text, see https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__rm.coe.int_CoERMPublicCommonSearchServices_DisplayDCTMContent-3FdocumentId-3D09000016806b5a14&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=d_Vxu25zMF9Pp4sAw4YsmjhRnIunC46v3AWhJEnzs1I&s=gMaZNIBXDgh6o18dJkNgZrGi7Swo-ZpahYZ4ig4JtPU&e=
  Rubens Kuhl:I think this a topic for applicant support...
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):yup
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):agreed Avri
  Steve Chan:Regarding the last bullet, registration requirements related to communities is captured in Spec 12 of the Registry Agreement and PICs are in Spec 11.
  Steve Chan:And RAs are published and available for review.
  Paul McGrady:But the "true communities" vs "not true communities" sorting that was just suggested begs the question.  If they are "not true communities" they presumably they won't get past our (soon to be) revised definition and test.
  Alan Greenberg:I think that community appications and applications from developing economies are really two different issues. Perhaps some overlap.
  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):right Alan - Applicant Support does not currently apply - but should it for non-profits or other types of community applicants we want to encourage as a matter of  public interest?
  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):OR should we think about Community Applicants who meet certain guidelines getting support from Auction Proceeds?
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):well said @Avri
  Rubens Kuhl:The only supported application for the 2012-round still in play happens to be a self-defined community application that failed CPE, .kids.
  Paul McGrady:Supporting non-profit applications is very different than picking winners and losers based upon whether or not they are commercial communities.
  Emily Barabas:For a summary of Community Applications, outcomes, and related reconsideration requests, see https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_download_attachments_58735963_Community-2520Applications-252028-2D3-2D17.xlsx-3Fversion-3D1-26modificationDate-3D1490693082000-26api-3Dv2&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=d_Vxu25zMF9Pp4sAw4YsmjhRnIunC46v3AWhJEnzs1I&s=fxFxP2xjByjEBdoL9DCmdOG62FKXSNmc5h6V42eTlT8&e=
  Gg Levine (NABP):Yes
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):noisy
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):better now
  Trang Nguyen 2:The review that Avri just mentioned is the subject of this Board resolution: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.icann.org_resources_board-2Dmaterial_resolutions-2D2016-2D09-2D17-2Den&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=d_Vxu25zMF9Pp4sAw4YsmjhRnIunC46v3AWhJEnzs1I&s=fIs-QX4j9yzg5Pw4AYYtqYjvkClYUQlaCV01supZi7c&e=
  avri doria:seems like a good idea
  avri doria:thanks Trang
  Trang Nguyen 2:There was a question regarding this review at the second Public Forum in Copenhagen and John Jeffrey's response can be viewed here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__schd.ws_hosted-5Ffiles_icann58copenhagen2017_60_I58CPH-5FThu16Mar2017-2DPublic-2520Forum-25202-2Den.pdf&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=d_Vxu25zMF9Pp4sAw4YsmjhRnIunC46v3AWhJEnzs1I&s=4UD1V69MzTPPd8u2EmX9nxLGhx79-3sIsF6UTzsOF3s&e=  (page 11 of the transcript).
  avri doria:that the benefits of supporting communities is an essential part of the requires of a corproation in the public interest.  that overweighs most cost..
  avri doria:yes we need to define.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):indeed we do
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):thanks everyone... Bye Bye for now
  avri doria:thanks
  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):Thank you