[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt3] Recording, AC Chat & Attendance from New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team ­ Track 3 ­ String Contention, Objections & Disputes on Tuesday, 18 April 2017 at 15:00 UTC

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Tue Apr 18 18:57:22 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance and audio recording of the call attached to this
email and the Adobe Connect recording (visual and audio) and AC Chat below
for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team - Track 3 - String
Contention, Objections & Disputes held on Tuesday, 18 April 2017 at 15:00
UTC.

Adobe Connect recording:
<https://participate.icann.org/p1nwlsw6tvp/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=270a392f7eacd741
b08abf3f2654f84519ad6e8cf34f5cf5e6c5e8497ddb0bc4> https://participate.icann.
org/p1nwlsw6tvp/

The recordings of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar>
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-newgtld-wg-wt3

Agenda Wiki page:   <https://community.icann.org/x/FbHRAw>
https://community.icann.org/x/FbHRAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 18 April 2017

    Terri Agnew:Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team -
Track 3 - String Contention, Objections & Disputes on Tuesday, 18 April 2017
at 15:00 UTC

  Terri Agnew:agenda wiki page:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_F
bHRAw <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.
org_x_FbHRAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dX
AvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=mcQdOdDwOVoOMjlV5jJ7PxHmA06-OcovUEMy
_UVHTD4&s=w9dHvqlRMfjEKRgk_KY5jPcFEgZwTX56MYzVYODmzaA&e>
&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXh
FzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=mcQdOdDwOVoOMjlV5jJ7PxHmA06-OcovUEMy_UVHTD4&s=w9
dHvqlRMfjEKRgk_KY5jPcFEgZwTX56MYzVYODmzaA&e=

  John Laprise:Good morning Terri!

  Annebeth Lange:Hi all, I have a few minutes waiting for my flight. I'll
try to listen in.

  Annebeth Lange:Thanks

  Michael Flemming:Good morning!

  Emily Barabas:Additional information about about geo names webinar is
available here:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_p
77RAw <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.
org_x_p77RAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dX
AvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=mcQdOdDwOVoOMjlV5jJ7PxHmA06-OcovUEMy
_UVHTD4&s=8xAct5O2zzlW4jTGunWstOhyGmF4OL6V9JQi3IswVYw&e>
&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXh
FzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=mcQdOdDwOVoOMjlV5jJ7PxHmA06-OcovUEMy_UVHTD4&s=8x
Act5O2zzlW4jTGunWstOhyGmF4OL6V9JQi3IswVYw&e=

  Jeff Neuman:good afternoon (in London today)

  Michael Flemming:Happy to be here

  Emily Barabas:15:00 UTC and 22:00 UTC

  Alan Greenberg:Sorry, last meeting ran late.

  Emily Barabas:See link above for details. To RSVP, email
Geo-Names-Session at icann.org <mailto:Geo-Names-Session at icann.org>

  Jeff Neuman:yes

  avri doria:yes

  Jeff Neuman:Forward on....

  Emily Barabas:Karen, yes, please do

  John Laprise:There's always a tension: defining a community externally vs.
internally

  Jeff Neuman:the term we used to use was "sponsored TLDs"

  avri doria:that was a previous round

  Jeff Neuman:right......and every tld that applied that round was approved.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):agreed Alan, that is why we need much more
discussion on this

  avri doria:but the notion of supported was not as broad as the notion of
community.  and the degree of support needed to be considered supported was
not as deep as that required by the AGB

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):indeed

  Jeff Neuman:In this "round" very few were accepted.  Somehow we may need
to try to swing the pendulum back to a balance....if we still favor
community applications

  Robin Gross:It is important to remember we are creating classes with
special privileges in tlds, and that will impact existing rights, like IPR.

  Alan Greenberg:Part of the concept I think is that the rules of the TLD
are governed by "the community"

  Alan Greenberg:DOes the TLD need to be not-for-prfit??

  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):not for profit reaaly limits freedom of
association and freedom of speech.

  Jamie Baxter | dotgay:I think that Anne's suggestion makes sense to look
at this from the angle of freedom of association

  Jeff Neuman:I do not necessarily believe that there is a need to limit to
not for profits

  Robin Gross:The problem I see with the freedom of association argument is
that it doesn't extend to preculding others from identifying with an idea
also.

  John Laprise:What about communities in jurisdictions that persecute
non-profits?

  Alan Greenberg:As we know, a NFP can make money and turn it back into the
community.

  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):QUESTION: What about a for-profit community of
kennel clubs from around the world who want to associate and promote
discussion around dog breeding?  would that be bad somehow?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):yes ALAN, true the interdependencies are yet to
be explored

  Gg Levine (NABP):@Anne -- no, not bad.

  Jeff Neuman:Again a for-profit and not-for-profit is not necessarily a
universal concept adopted globally nor is it consistent amongst
jurisdictions.  Not sure how we can make being "not for profit" as defined
in the US the standard......

  Michael Flemming:I agree with Anne on that aspect. We have a habit of
distinguishing what the Public Interest is and what may harm the Public
Interest. This is similar to our discussion of Closed Generics. But if we
have to define what the social good is, then how do we even begin to define
that?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):agree Anne could be a slippery slope here as well

  Alan Greenberg:Is the COMMUNITY of kennel clubs for profit, or are the
kennel clubs for profit?

  Annebeth Lange:I agree with Anne here. THis is a dangerous road to go
down.

  Jeff Neuman:All - It is hard to talk about the freedom of association as
an absolute right.  All communities have some form of qualifications to get
into an stay in the community.  We cant say that all of them are a
restriction on the freedom of association

  John Laprise:If we take a social scientific perspective, a community is
simply a group of actors who interact and exchange, bound by an interest.

  Michael Flemming:@Jeff, for my own personal question, is there no sense of
what defines a collective community in international law?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):important distinguishing point Alan purpose if
the classification has any privilege or advantage does need establishment
IMO

  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):@Jeff - they would still need to be a community.
But ICANN should not get into the business os assessing social good.

  Michael Flemming:上My question doesn't need to be put into the agenda
notes.

  Michael Flemming:Just for clarification.

  Jamie Baxter | dotgay:I agree with Anne. Each community may have their own
purpose for applying for a community TLD. Trust is a huge one that has
previoulsy been discussed, but let's not forget that the current
implemenation of community TLDs took none of this into consideration.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):NOTE Anne I was  stating establishment of purpose
is important not a opinion on the 'worthiness' of the purposeless essential

  Greg Shatan:Not a risk.... :-)

  Emily Barabas:The spreadsheet displayed in the center pod is also
available in the wiki (directly under the heading Additional Information):
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_W
z2AAw <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.
org_x_Wz2AAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dX
AvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=mcQdOdDwOVoOMjlV5jJ7PxHmA06-OcovUEMy
_UVHTD4&s=6wkrLcHL5m0fxsl7-TgWb6meovw2u3vzuvDLLWt7Hhc&e>
&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXh
FzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=mcQdOdDwOVoOMjlV5jJ7PxHmA06-OcovUEMy_UVHTD4&s=6w
krLcHL5m0fxsl7-TgWb6meovw2u3vzuvDLLWt7Hhc&e=

  Jeff Neuman:Its all about the effective allocation of TLDs

  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):@Cheryl - I agree with you.  I really cannot see
ICANN trying to decide which applicants qualify as promoting social good.

  Jeff Neuman:Hand up :)

  John Laprise:I can't see the GAC signing off on a definition of social
good.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):indeed John

  Robin Gross:For some, "community" is the new "beauty contest".

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):back to interdependencies in our works as well as
an order of required decision order Jeff

  Christa Taylor:I agree with Jeff - there are multiple considerations

  Jamie Baxter | dotgay:i think that it is important to rememeber that
despite being offered "priority", communities in the current round have
actually been put through some of the hardest challeges (financially &
legally) and suffered the longest delays. Nothing says priority about the
current system, and if it is not addressed, or priority is taken away, it's
likely a good guess that few to none will apply in the future..

  Jeff Neuman:I agree with jamie

  Jeff Neuman:from a personal perspective

  Christa Taylor:Jamie +1 it has been a very long road for community
applicants with a significant amount of time and resources

  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):COMMENT: Please be very careful about limiting
communities to non-profits.  For example, our firm represents numerous
Native American communities.  These communities are not non-profit.  They do
have names that could operate as TLDs and they do promote cultural goals in
relation to preserving indigenous language and culture.  COMMENT

  John Laprise:Let's not forget that it's not just the road but the simple
notion that applying for a gTLD is something to consider.

  Steve Chan:@Jamie, I'll try and see if I can get an update on that review

  Jamie Baxter | dotgay:much appreciate Steve.

  Michael Flemming:@Anne, even if a community was not an established
non-profit, if the model behind the TLD itself was a non-profit or non-money
making model, could that be used to tie into the model of a community TLD?

  Michael Flemming:Thank you for clarity.

  Christa Taylor:+1 Karen

  John Laprise:Just remember that for every "good" we want to support, there
is an equal and opposite "bad" community. Conferring preference opens the
door to malevolent communities too.

  Emily Barabas:please go ahead karen

  avri doria:John and some people's good is other people's evil.  often the
fate of many minority communitites.

  Emily Barabas:you have control

  John Laprise:Agreed Avri

  Annebeth Lange:Could you put the link to this presentation in the notes,
Emily?

  Emily Barabas:@Annebeth, yes, one moment please

  Emily Barabas:The slides are available here under the heading Documents:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_F
bHRAw <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.
org_x_FbHRAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dX
AvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=mcQdOdDwOVoOMjlV5jJ7PxHmA06-OcovUEMy
_UVHTD4&s=w9dHvqlRMfjEKRgk_KY5jPcFEgZwTX56MYzVYODmzaA&e>
&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXh
FzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=mcQdOdDwOVoOMjlV5jJ7PxHmA06-OcovUEMy_UVHTD4&s=w9
dHvqlRMfjEKRgk_KY5jPcFEgZwTX56MYzVYODmzaA&e=

  Annebeth Lange:Thanks @ Emily

  Jeff Neuman:It should be noted for the record that this version 3 of the
GAC Subgroup has een abandoned for now

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):thanks everyone... lots more to come on this of
course... bye for now

  Jeff Neuman:Now there is a repository proposal.....but still may have
similar implications

  Robin Gross:Can we see the latest GAC proposal, Jeff?

  Terri Agnew:next meeting: New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team - Track
3 - String Contention, Objections & Disputes will take place on Tuesday, 02
May 2017 at 20:00 UTC

  Jeff Neuman:WIll try to find it

  Annebeth Lange:Thanks

  Christa Taylor:Thank-you

  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):Thank yoiu.

  avri doria:bye

  Robin Gross:Thanks, Karen and all.  Bye!