[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt3] Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt3 Digest, Vol 6, Issue 4

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at nic.br
Tue Feb 21 02:20:36 UTC 2017

> On Feb 20, 2017, at 10:30 PM, kjb at bernsteinip.com wrote:
>
> Rubens, thanks for your comment. I suspect that if you read the papers you might reach a different result.
>
> As far as your other comment about translators, it wouldn't be as if thousands of translators would need to be on duty for the contention set. This wasn't the case for the panelists.

It's was linguists, actually. And since one is comparing a word in one language to a word in another language, the required linguist expert would need knowledge of the two languages. One source lists a number in the vicinity of 6,909 languages, and that would generate almost 24 million combinations. More combinations when more languages are added to the mix, like in Montenegro, India, Switzerland and other countries that have more than one spoken language.

One small practice run: let's say a Brazilian proposes a ".mé" TLD. "mé" is a Brazilian Portuguese slang for "booze", usually referring to Cachaça. Now let's compare it to ".me" on the POV of a Brazilian... how many Brazilians do you think will read ".mé" as something related to Montenegro, or even know where Montenegro is ? And how do you find an expert versed in both Montenegrin, Croatian, Albanian, Bosnian and Portuguese, with cultural knowledge of Southeastern Europe and Brazil that could see the issue from at least these two angles ?

Rubens