[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt3] Recording, AC Chat & Attendance from New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team ­ Track 3 ­ String Contention, Objections & Disputes on Tuesda17 January 2017 at 03:00 UTC

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Tue Jan 17 04:15:11 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance and recording of the call attached to this email and the AC Chat below for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 3 – String Contention, Objections & Disputes held on Tuesday, 17 January 2017 at 03:00 UTC.

The recordings of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

Agenda Wiki page:  https://community.icann.org/x/s7PDAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 17 January 2017

   Terri Agnew:Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 3 – String Contention, Objections & Disputes held on Tuesday, 17 January 2017 at 03:00 UTC

  Terri Agnew:agenda wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_s7PDAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=J8cjq83zfFR6lspxAk3q5v8EZSnd-lQj4xJtuUl4v_0&s=2DBjNiWS-0w4eWonviU99U3aIBoOPegVvk2i4D1T9V0&e=

  Karen Day:Let's shoot for double diget attendance at least ;-)\

  Jeff Neuman:This is a tough time for participants I guess.  I think we had this issue before with Work Track 3

  Robin Gross:We can hope.

  Karen Day:The bulk of our members are West Coast US so that makes both this time and the 1500 not good for those with families

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):Is there a (semi)standard set of questions that we're looking to answer for each objection type?

  Karen Day:@Kristina - yes, but at a very high level.  I'll find the reference for you in a minute but it's things like "were expectations met"

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):@Karen, thanks.

  Jeff Neuman:Should we create a small drafting team to work on the questions?

  Jeff Neuman:@Jon, not to put you on the spot, but if we asked you to participate in this, would you agree to such an interview?

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):@Jeff:   One option. Another option would be to hold an "open house" during Copenhagen during which folks with experience with objections could drop in and provide whatever input they want?

  Jeff Neuman:@Kristina - That is a great idea if they are willing to share experiences in an open environment

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):@Jeff:  good point.

  Michael Flemming:I'd be willing to sit down and talk about our experiences.

  Jeff Neuman:We would also have to develop questions and ask GDD to help facilitate questions we may have for the Independent Obector

  Jeff Neuman:Objector

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):another good opportunity yes Kristina

  Jon Nevett:I think that the registry group started pulling some of these issues together -- might make sense to wait for that input so we don't have to duplicate.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):evidence of consistency?

  Alan Greenberg:Sorry to be late.

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):For those objections for which the fees were variable, do we know what the high and low fees were as well as the mean and the medium?

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):Sorry for staying on mute.  Upstairs neighbor doing construction.

  Jon Nevett:staff should get that info from the 4 providers

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):The purpose of collecting this information would be to allow us to assess if fees were too high (or low) and make recommendations accordingly

  Steve Chan:@Kristina, we can take the question back to the GDD.

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):@Steve, thanks.

  Jon Nevett:shouldn't the ALAC just work any objections through the IO?

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):@Jon:  that assumes we recommend the IO remain . . . .

  Jon Nevett:yep

  avri doria:any discussion should also include a reference to the extensive feedback and mechansims that the ALAC did set up these sorts of mechanism are often used for accountabity..  Does ALAC accept the notion that they filed frivolously?

  Jeff Neuman:Giving a venue for feedback is not the same as accountability.

  Alan Greenberg:The AALC does not accept that. Moreover, we also considered very carefully whether filing such an objection implied and personal liability. In my mind it is clear we dod not do this frivolously.

  avri doria:money vs. amazing amounts of volunteer time?

  avri doria:and can we say that all paid objections were filed accountably?

  avri doria:and people with vendettas and money spend it freely

  Jeff Neuman:The IO had a professional reputation for being an expert in international disputes

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):@Alan:  The IO may not have had a stake in the objection you're referencing, but he was found to have one in the .amazon objections.

  Terri Agnew 2:finding the line

  Michael Flemming:Somewhat

  Jeff Neuman:Yes Robin....

  Alan Greenberg:@Kristine. I understand that. But it was not the design og the process that was at falt. If you are correct, then it was very much an extremely poor processthat allowed it to happen. That alone does not imply we shouldnot have an IO in the future.

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):@Alan: We'll put a pin in that for now.

  Jeff Neuman:For Legal RIghts Objections, it would be good to have Paul McGrady to explain his proposal

  Alan Greenberg:I have not heard anyone claim we had a personal stake in the results, other than caring about those whose interests we represent.

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):Paul is in China.

  Terri Agnew 2:next meeting: New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 3 – String Contention, Objections & Disputes will take place on Tuesday, 07 February 2017 at 15:00 UTC.

  Jeff Neuman:Is the webinar being recorded.  May not be able to attend at that time, but would love to listen afterwards.

  Jeff Neuman:Is it being recorded?  Was a question

  avri doria:i am sue it will be recorded

  Jeff Neuman:Cool!

  avri doria:... sure ...

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):thx all.. Bye for now....

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):bye

  Karen Day 2:Thanks everyone

  Karen Day 2:bye

  avri doria:bye