[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt4] Root Zone Scaling Myths

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at nic.br
Mon Jun 19 22:01:05 UTC 2017

> Em 19 de jun de 2017, à(s) 17:53:000, Aikman-Scalese, Anne <AAikman at lrrc.com> escreveu:
>
> Thanks Rubens.  Who are these consultants who compiled the final report on Root Zone Stability in relation to scaling (i.e. growth in TLDs)?
> NLnet Labs, SIDN LABS, and TNO?  Were they hired by the Board or by PTI?

ICANN Org, not PTI.

> What is the degree of participation by PTI in oversight of the stability of the root?  Is there an ongoing operational responsibility that rests with PTI to monitor this as TLDs are added?

None that I'm aware of, since this is mostly done by the root server operators themselves. And while ICANN is among them, due to the L-Root, I believe the L-Root operations to be on ICANN side, not on PTI side.

> What is the impact of the statement in the report that “boundless” new gTLDs could affect root stability?  Should this affect the WG’s discussions regarding a period of open applications (first-come first served) AFTER a period of window(s) to deal with pent –up demand?

At the time those reports were made, one of DNS software codebases used then could only handle 100,000 TLDs without performance impact, while different software at that time could handle 1 million. I believe all of them could handle at least 1 million now, with up to 5 million for the most efficient software a likely possibility... but even in the millions scale, it's still limited. For instance, if every registrant of a domain registered in any TLD could get its own TLD, we could easily exceed a few million TLDs... otherwise, managing the root zone would become as hard as managing a large zone like .com, and would require specialized software and processes currently not used in its management.

Rubens