[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt4] Registry Services straw-person

Aikman-Scalese, Anne AAikman at lrrc.com
Tue Sep 5 20:52:29 UTC 2017

Rubens,
I have communicated separately with you off-list and to Leadership regarding your response.  The following comments are circulated to the entire list:

A.      Please circulate the second Straw Proposal in addition to your own for comparison purposes.  The second proposal is that the language of Question 23 remain the same as in the 2012 round which states that all new services to be offered MUST BE DESCRIBED (see below) with the following addition:   “Applicant acknowledges that ICANN may establish two application evaluation tracks which will operate separately, one for applications which propose new registry services and one for applications which contain only the following pre-approved registry services:  LIST PRE-APPROVED SERVICES HERE (TO BE DISCUSSED ON THE NEXT CALL).

B.      You state that it is “out-of-scope” for Work Track 4 for us to discuss the policy issue of incurring additional fees for evaluation of additional new registry services.  However, it is in fact your Straw Proposal that suggests such additional fees are appropriate.  If this is policy work that is “out-of-scope” for Work Track 4, then the language of your Straw Proposal is itself “out-of-scope”.

C.      You state that I cannot raise issues regarding effect on RPM policy because that is for the RPM PDP, not for Work Track 4.  If you are advocating a policy change that affects RPM policy, it has to be raised and flagged, not buried as “out of scope” for Work Track 4.)  How will the RPM PDP even KNOW that such an issue is being created by a proposed change in Question 23 if not discussed and brought to their attention?

Again, I believe the three issues which must be clearly outlined and discussion facilitated are:

1.       Should new registry services be proposed in the application itself or at any stage chosen by the applicant, including at contracting and after contracting?  Why are we changing the time of evaluation of proposed new registry services when the existing application says “Additional proposed registry services that are unique to the registry must also be described.”?  Do registries prefer this be a discussion that occurs only between contracting parties and ICANN?

2.       What existing services should be pre-approved for the  next round?  Does it include idn registrations and RPMs with blocking? (Here do we mean idn registrations within the application for a non-idn Top Level Domain or something else?  If both are recommended, how does Sub Pro alert the RPM PDP as to the possible implications for RPM policy?)  And how can Sub Pro stay on course and recommend moving forward to the next round if it creates policy issues that RPM PDP has not yet been able to address?)

3.       Should applicants pay fees for evaluation of proposed new services even if  no Technical Panel is needed?  Why is this being changed from the process followed in the 2012 round?  Isn’t this proposed change in fact creating a policy issue because the entire purpose of unlimited gTLDs was to encourage innovation and competition?

Thank you,
Anne

Anne E. Aikman-Scalese

Of Counsel