[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Concerns on the WT5 Terms of Reference and proposed expansion of the scope of geo-names to include other concepts as well

Javier Rua javrua at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 05:57:53 UTC 2017

Greg,

Thanks for reminding us about the essence of the multistakeholder model.

In some ways, it’s indicative of how international and transnational governance models have evolved from a Westphalian Sovereign-Nation-State centered exclusive club, then to a broader International Community of States, that then added entities as subjects of International Law: International Organizations like the UN, International Humanitarian NGOs like Red Cross and Red Crescent, Democratic Supranational Organizations of pooled sovereignty like the European Union, and then the unthinkable: individual persons as bearers of international rights and standing with the rise of regional and universal Human Rights protection regimes.  As the relevance of the pure 19th century Nation-State model has progressively morphed, experiments like ICANN become possible: a corporation that although born in a subnational unit of a State, operates with participants and constituencies from all over the Planet (Sovereign States, non-sovereign territories -like my country Puerto Rico-, private commercial and non-commercial entities and interests, technical constituencies; all working in a mechanism that impacts the evolution of the Internet, within ICANN’s (very limited) DNS remit. It’s a governance model well suited for an ideally borderless and transnational phenomenon like the global interoperable Internet.

Multistakeholder global entities like ICANN are quite a new experiment.  For some -including myself- the concept that the opinion of one person is as valid as the opinion of a hundred or thousand year old Nation-State is sometimes hard to fathom. I think States naturally perceive multistakeholderism as a disruptive concept, a threat to their model (some States more than others; some up-front and others hypocritically).

Multistakeholderism is a very fragile thing; on a cliff; almost a fiction. It can sometimes seem like pure process, mere ritual, and worse: before I began to understand a bit the true merit and added value of it, I though it was an elaborate farce.  But It is my belief that multistakeholderism is something to be defended, protected, perfected and further entrenched in the way we do governance at all levels, whether global or local. It requires a lot of work, a lot of diplomacy, intelligence, maturity and patience. And I do admire States that accept multistakeholder “rules”, because they must continually show incredible levels of self-restraint in the face of the pure insolence of some people and entities. But the equation has been historically the opposite: individuals have had to withstand not only insolent, but also violent States - which in any case are run by either insolent or violent Individuals anyways (by the way, some States even have to resist and survive their own insolent leaders, like the current US President). But multistakeholderism, I believe, is a step in the right direction for humanity, that is consistent with the way global governance structures have been evolving, that I hope sticks and keeps on expanding, for it grants great legitimacy and strength to the norms that are consensually born through it.

Javier Rúa-Jovet
ALAC
+1-787-396-6511
twitter: @javrua