[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Fwd: WT5 Update and Next Meeting

Martin Sutton martin at brandregistrygroup.org
Sun Apr 1 21:04:39 UTC 2018

Dear Christopher,

Thank you for your email. I have added my responses into your note for ease of reference.

Kind regards,

Martin

Sent from my iPad

On 1 Apr 2018, at 18:47, lists at christopherwilkinson.eu<mailto:lists at christopherwilkinson.eu> Wilkinson <lists at christopherwilkinson.eu<mailto:lists at christopherwilkinson.eu>> wrote:

Dear Martin Sutton, Dear WT5 Co-Leads:

Thank you for this update, with a view to the next WT5 meeting on Wednesday 4 April (14.00 UTC).

May I say that, for many participants, in view of the Easter long weekend, this is extremely short notice

Response: I do apologise for the delay in sending the note out. The meeting was scheduled some time ago and the purpose of the note was to provide a brief summary of our last meeting that you attended in Puerto Rico and guide others that may not have been able to join that meeting.

I have several comments and suggestions:

  1.  ISO-3166: Allow me to recall that WT5 has already spent more time than necessary to achieve 'status quo' with regard to the 2012 AGB.

Regarding long and short form ISO 3166 names, I have seen nothing recently in WT5 or on the List that would treat these differently from the 3-character codes. It would not be appropriate to 'defer broader questions…' about these. After all, that is what WT5 is here for.

Response: This was a summary of where the group’s discussions appeared to be heading, with supporting rationale covered in the ICANN61 meeting. The “broader discussions” referred to are whether the overseeing policy body should be outside of the GNSO (a point raised a few times during the meeting), which would take it out of scope for WT5 and the overall PDP WG. The status quo recognises that there is predictability for applicants (terms they know are unavailable) and would allow the “broader discussions” to take place in the future but are not critical to conduct prior to the next application phase.

I would also remind you of the fact that WT5 has to address the discrepancies between policy and the AGB from 2012, hence the time spent focusing on the AGB treatment is valuable but we also hope we can move swiftly towards non-AGB geographic terms, which I am sure will stimulate a wide array of views from WT5 members in addition to your own.

  1.  WT5 has yet to begin addressing the outstanding issues, including:

- terms and conditions for the delegation of the generality of geographical names; including a wide range of sub-national and regional terms that are not addressed by ISO 3166.

- protection of individual users' interests in the transparency and predictability of geographical names relating to their locations, communities and economies.

- the overlap – in the past - between a few geographical names and some brands;

- the treatment of IDN geographical names, including three character expressions.

N.B. The CCWG-UNCT Final Paper, June 2017, has nothing in it that is useful in these respects.

Response: As noted above, these views will be considered as we complete the discussions of the AGB treatment for geographic terms, along with the views of others within WT5.

  1.  Time Line: I would question the wisdom of deferring until May 2012 discussion of 'terms not included in the 2012 AGB'. Since WT5 has already taken several months to reach a qualified consensus on ISO 3166, I wonder what can be achieved in the next few weeks regarding all the remaining issues, for which discussion has yet to begin.

Response: Considering the time spent to draft and agree the TOR, plus providing opportunities for participants to understand the background and history of geographic terms in relation to new gTLDs, the substantive discussions on these topics only began  late-January. We are confident that the participants in the group will maintain the momentum so we can move on to the non-AGB terms sooner than May.

I would request that the agenda of the next conference calls be adapted to address in priority the terms not included in the AGB.

Response: Noted but please refer to previous responses. We look forward to constructive discussions on our next call to move this along.

Regards to you all,

Christopher Wilkinson

Begin forwarded message: