[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Notes and Action Items - New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP Work Track 5 - 04 April 2018

Jaap Akkerhuis jaap at NLnetLabs.nl
Wed Apr 4 19:10:18 UTC 2018

I deleted quite some text but this part from Yrjö Länsipuro message:

 > Some languages have their specific names not only for the "own"
 > country but for most other countries as well.. In some cases,
 > protecting those other versions (eg., in the languages of neighboring
 > countries, or in non-UN languages such as German or Japanese) might
 > be important for the government. Should governments have the option
 > of protecting the name of the country in  additional languages?

This is known as exonym and endonyms[*]. As an example, the Netherlands
is not only knows as "Holland" but also as "Pays-Bas", "Niederlande"
etc. while the Dutch tend to talk about "Frankrijk", "Duitsland".
In case people want to consider this for TLDs the amount of 140.000
names mentioned in the call (7000 lnguages, 200 countries) will
easely grows a couple of magnitudes.

	jaap

[*] For a quick introduction, see the lemma in Wikipedia
    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exonym_and_endonym>.