[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Geographic terms: additional categories

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 01:16:12 UTC 2018

Dear Liz

This is a very important discussion and thanks for framing it simply.
I am guessing the issue about the Aboriginal community being able to
register the name is whether or not they will be competing against
another company who trademarked that name and who could possibly sue
them.
And maybe they don't even register the domain name but create a
handcraft company with the river name.
In that sense, it is not about limiting the registration of a name but
ensuring protection for communities which are left vulnerable if
exclusive registration rights and associated IP rights are given to
whoever first registers the name.

But this is probably out of the scope of WT5 since it deals with
governmental objections and not unrecognized minority communities or
treaties without a broader international intergovernmental acceptance.

Best,

Renata