[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Geographic terms: additional categories

Jon Nevett jon at donuts.email
Thu Apr 19 13:18:27 UTC 2018

I agree Liz.

Also, let's take some real examples of the dictionary term issue we need to solve. Apparently, two of the oldest rivers in the world (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rivers_by_age) are the New River in the US and the Save river in Africa.

Applicants for .NEW or .SAVE undoubtedly would not be applying for such names due to the rivers nor would they intend that the use of the TLDs be related to the rivers at all.  Should we really have a policy that requires a letter of non-opposition by the relevant government for these names?  Should the US government and/or the States of North Carolina, Virginia, or West Virginia have veto rights over whether .NEW should exist?  Should Zimbabwe or Mozambique have veto rights over .SAVE?  .NEW and .SAVE are not edge cases.  There are hundreds of these kinds of terms that also happen to be geographic names.  There is a Coffee City in Texas; Bath in the UK; etc.
Perhaps we should retain an expert in toponymy to educate us on the prevalence of these terms.

I do agree with Jorge that we need a framework that provides predictability, but that framework shouldn't be just giving veto rights to governments in all cases, which is what requiring letters of non-opposition would do in fact.  We have to come up with a policy that takes into account generic/dictionary words that also happen to be geographic terms and the intended uses of such proposed TLDs.

Thanks.

Jon