[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] WT5 Agenda, Work Plan & Consensus Call on Country & Territory Names - Please review before our call.

Javier Rua javrua at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 23:52:50 UTC 2018

Carlos,

I see you support keeping the current status of two letter-letter country/territory codes.  I think that’s in line with general WT thinking and I feel has broad support.

On the other hand, like some other WT members you mention preference for a future policy that’s a bit more liberal or “pro delegation” in regards 3 letter codes that are geonames, limiting the possible applicants to -governmental authorities, ccTLD managers and “public interest entities”.

Could you expand on these “public interest entities”? Could you suggest language in the pertinent “Recommendation” for WT consideration?

Thx

Javier Rúa-Jovet

+1-787-396-6511
twitter: @javrua
skype: javier.rua1
https://www.linkedin.com/in/javrua

> [...]
>> UNINETT Norid AS
>> Phone: +47 959 11 559
>> Mail: annebeth.lange at norid.no
>>

>>> 8. aug. 2018 kl. 22:43 skrev Carlos Raul Gutierrez <carlosraul at gutierrez.se>:
>>> My comments to today's call:
>>>
>>> 1. "The ICANN Community may want to consider whether a future process should be established or determine if, when, and how specific interested parties, such as relevant government authorities, may apply for country and territory names" This paragraph is the only sensible part of a forward-looking recommendation and should/could be redrafted. I wonder if it could be enhanced, or if the only way to go is deletion as CW suggested.   A shorter more concise version? A more "liberal" version? How about: "ICANN may consider applications by specific interested parties, such as relevant authorities, of strings that are not current or future countries or territories."  Ps: The text in Recommendation 1 "reserving ALL two character letter letter" combinations-  can be enhanced.  I wonder if it's truly ALL, or if the potential for future countries and potential combinations is really much less broad? Could that be qualified somehow? I can't think of a future .xx or .ññ country or territory and maybe we could tweak the language to open this a bit and garner broad community support to move forward.
>>>
>>> 2. Other than recommendation #1, I object strongly the text to "keep geo names from the delegation" in any other recommedation, unless a clear rationale is added to the recommendation
>>>

>>> 3. I hope no draft goes out before a substantial non-AGB names discussion has taken place, including to geographic related, cultural, linguistic and other social  elements, ,like Apache Nation
>>>

>>> Best regards
>>>

>>> ---
>>> Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez
>>> carlosraul at gutierrez.se
>>> +506 8837 7176
>>> Aparatado 1571-1000
>>> COSTA RICA
>>>

>>> El 2018-08-08 05:09, Emily Barabas escribió:
>>>
>>> Dear Work Track members,
>>>

>>> Please find attached suggested revisions to the draft recommendations shared yesterday. Please note that this revised text includes clarifications and typo corrections only. Feedback on some of the more substantive issues will be discussed further on today's call.
>>>

>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Emily
>>>

>>> From: Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5 <gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of Martin Sutton <martin at brandregistrygroup.org>
>>> Date: Monday, 6 August 2018 at 14:45
>>> To: "gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5 at icann.org" <gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5 at icann.org>
>>> Subject: [Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] WT5 Agenda, Work Plan & Consensus Call on Country & Territory Names - Please review before our call.
>>>

>>> Dear Work Track members,
>>>

>>> Please find below the proposed agenda for the WT5 call on Wednesday 8 August at 13:00 UTC:

>>> 2. Review of Consensus Call Process and Work Plan
>>> 3. Consensus Call on Country and Territory Names
>>> 4. Wrap Up - Non-AGB Terms