[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Action for WT5 Members - Definition of Geographic Terms

Nick Wenban-Smith Nick.Wenban-Smith at nominet.uk
Fri Jan 12 14:48:28 UTC 2018

Thanks Japp for that reply. We appreciate your expertise to guide us in this area!

I was just taking the source of country names from the ISO website "[ISO3166] does not define the names of countries - this information comes from United Nations sources (Terminology Bulletin Country Names and the Country and Region Codes for Statistical Use maintained by the United Nations Statistics Divisions)".

Are these sources publicly available (e.g. to prospective applicants for a new gTLD) or in practice is use of the 3166 standard as a short cut to the official names of countries recognised by the UN the best we can do (realising its limitations and that it won't always be in sync)?

I can see that from a purist's point of view it is perhaps inelegant, but is there a plausible alternative?

Best wishes
Nick