[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Conclusion of CWG-UCTN on 2-character codes

Ann-Cathrin Marcussen ann-cathrin.marcussen at norid.no
Fri Jan 19 12:49:07 UTC 2018

Hi Kris,

I see your point about governments in certain countries and that they may want to use the 3 letter ISO code as a TLD, but no matter what we end up recommending in WT5, a 3 letter combination in ASCII should, in my opinion, always be a gTLD. This just in addition to the fact that the scope of WT 5 is limited to geographic names - no matter how many letters or characters it may be in what we end up defining as a “geographic name”.

I look forward to the next part of our work in WT 5 and suggest that we start with the ABG 2012 definitions, (see Martins email of 8 January 18 that lists the wording of ABG 2.2.1.4 + 2.2.1.4.1 and 2.2.1.4.2) and go through each and every part of the existing  definitions of geographic name. Then we would have a set of definitions and from thereon we can start discussing the requirements and conditions for future applications.

best
Ann-Cathrin