[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Notes and Action Items - New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP Work Track 5 - 11 July 2018

Kris Seeburn seeburn.k at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 19:39:05 UTC 2018

I was rethinking this and a way forward could be at this point taking capitals/cities into a second round. We still need to think business models as well. So at this point in time we could move Geonames to the three letter ISO and also country names in full as set out in ISO / UN recognition as well.

The population size could be very well thought of in a second phase of this workings. The longer we take to get to the other bits we may be stalling the whole process as well.So my take is get the first of these moving ahead. I was stating islands as i can take Seychelles has an overall population as a country of around 95,000 so imagine it’s capital “VICTORIA” or it’s other main Hub “MAHE”. There are also other countries or Islands we may have to think and cater for.

So my suggestion is to take into consideration the population size for sure but perhaps add a second variable which would be the country itself. Big countries in general may understand that you cannot just use or take names of capitals or other cities just like that without Govt approval. But the issue remains the awareness that needs to go down to ensure the required understanding.

So perhaps two variables should be (1) population (2) country - legitimacy — perhaps that may go better with GAC as well as many others.

My two cents.