[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Notes and Action Items - New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP Work Track 5 - 11 July 2018

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Tue Jul 24 12:12:40 UTC 2018

Dear Greg,
your anger and hurt are heard. Thanks for expressing your feelings so directly. Apologies follow in this text.
In your definition of squatting you quote:"More generally, 'squatting' means the practice of inhabiting someone else's property without their permission."
Well. That's what we are talking about. You nailed it. A city of 1 million people should authorize the usage of their name on the top-level in the DNS; just like we require already for capitals.
For the non-lawyers here once again how the TM law works (and that's obviously just my understanding of it; plus I haven't studied law):
When you create a "brand" then the law allows you deny others usage of your "intellectual property". A trademark could be a city name  ("Orange") or a generic term ("Orange"). There could be several trademarks "Orange" in one country; e.g. one for a Mobile Provider (orange.com) and one for a Database Management (ORANGE by WareValley).
You now have a plethora of entities actively using one term ("orange") to identify brands, businesses, cities and even people (5,000 Americans have the last name Orange).
When a company now trademarks their brand "Orange" obviously if just the STRING  (ORANGE) was protected all the other entities "Orange" would face huge troubles: The cities, the people, the other companies if they would use "Orange" in business  (which companies, cities and entrepreneurs do). It would mean that only ONE entity could use the string "Orange" in business. Much like only ONE entity can own a gTLD string.
In trademark law a solution exists: you simply CANNOT deny everybody the usage of the string "Orange" in business. Instead you have to very, very narrowly define the goods and services that you intent to use; and the string "orange" will then be protected ONLY for these specified usage cases. E.g. "Telecommunication Services" (orange.com) or "Database Management" (WareValley). You can NOT protect however the usage of the string "Orange" for goods and services pertaining to the generic meaning. You couldn't brand an "Orange fruit label" with the trademark "Orange". You do not trademark a "string" rather you protect a string in COMBINATION with very narrowly defined goods and services.
This cleverly designed protection mechanism ensure that only ONE Telecommunications Company "Orange" exists (in one jurisdiction) - but literally INFINITIVE other trademarks could bear the same name.
And that's just ONE country. If ORANGE hasn't protected their brand in for example Senegal then another entity could use "Orange" for telecommunications in that jurisdiction  (reality is a bit more complicated - but in general).
All cities "Orange" are literally unimpacted by these trademarks. There is no harm done to the city Government or the constitutents of the locality. Even if there was a marketing agency "Orange" - the city and its public and private organizations can STILL use their city name while marketing their destination named "Orange". The probably hundreds of Intellectual Property rights "ORANGE" do in no way harm or obstruct the cities.
That's different in the DNS. Once ".orange" is designated nobody else can do so anymore. Especially not any of the cities  (or all of them together in a joint venture).
I beg your pardon - but in my book that could be described as somebody  (e.g. a business) is "inhabiting the city's property" - and if there wouldn't be a requirement for a "letter of non-objection" then indeed "without permission".
In that light seemingly you validated my choice of language.
But I am in agreement that we should refrain from the usage of "inflammatory language". Insofar while "squatting" seemingly is "nailing" it; I do apologize to all brands that intentionally or unintentionally planned or will plan to apply for a string identical to a sizeable city WITHOUT requesting a "letter of non-objection". Per 2012 AGB there wasn't a requirement to do so - hence I am favoring to create policy that would introduce such requirement - it would be (like trademark registrations) helpful for brands to not accidentally infringe on rights of others.
I know that you knew all the TM policies I explained. But only a minority here are IP lawyers. I hope I laid out the basic problem in an understandable fashion. And again: if there are factual misinterpretations - please enlighten me.
I close by repeating my suggestion for the treatment of city names on top level:Keep the 2012 AGB Elevate "sizeable cities" (definition TBD) to the same protection as capital cities. In return keep the non-geo use provision for all other city namesThe only alternative that I see would be to COMPLETELY eradicate the non-geo use provision. And basically that would be a pity.
Peace;
From Riga,
Alexander.lv

Sent from my Samsung device