[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Notes and Action Items - New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP Work Track 5 - 13 June 2018

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Fri Jun 15 16:36:20 UTC 2018

Dear Liz,

I understand where "you come from" with the notion that governments "pay attention":

“We should be confident that with the ever-growing GAC membership, we have a set of stakeholders who are paying attention to the expansion of the domain name system as a platform for economic growth (amongst many other things) for their citizens……”

And another member here recently assumed, that “most geo applications were submitted by governments…”.

There are a couple of systematic, structural and perceptional issues here:

*        It doesn’t really matter what happened in the 2012 round in regard to GEO applications; the game in 2021 will be very different.

*        There is zero hard evidence that in more than a few geo applications the Government was involved in any of the relevant tasks:

o   Business plan creation

o   Funding

o   Ownership in the applicant entity

o   Policy or company board seats

o   Fostering community support

o   Application writing

o   Introduction of the new gTLD

o   gTLD marketing

*        As country names where “censored” almost all geo applications were city or small region based. But these have their own “governing entities” – the federal Governments where usually NOT involved at all! And SHOULDN’T! I very much disagree that we force city Governments into giving up their autonomy. Why do you want to strengthen the national Governments when nobody ever asked for it?

*        It is NOT the scope of GAC (or its individual members) to “monitor applications submissions”

*        While 2012 and 2021 were (will be) distinct  events – once we “go into continues application submission phase” there is just no way all cities (or their Governments) can monitor all applications. They will however not even in “rounds”.

Thanks,

Alexander

 <mailto:Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5 at icann.org> Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5 at icann.org