[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP: Work Track 5 Comments

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 22:29:01 UTC 2018

Joe,

Thanks for weighing.  I agree with a great deal of what you say.  On your
first point, I and a number of others have addressed the rights and
concerns regarding trademark rights, the rights of businesses and
individuals who are brandowners, and the rights of consumers and other
end-users; who rely on trademarks as signifiers of origin, quality and
unique characteristics of the underlying businesses, products, goods and
services.  I’ve been consumed by other matters the last couple of weeks and
I haven’t been as active on the list as I would like, but I’ll rectify that.

I share your concerns about the idea that we could create hierarchies or
preferences that would elevate one type of legitimate rights over another,
whether it is between two applicants or between an applicant and a
non-applicant.

However, you group letters of non-objection/consent with curative rights,
and state a preference for these over preventive rights.  I would submit
that letters of non-objection/consent ARE preventive rights and must be
categorized as such. They certainly fit the criteria: they stand in the way
of an application or potential application, they require permission to be
granted before the applicant can proceed, and the failure to grant (or
decision not to grant) the consent/non-objection prevents the applicant
from moving forward.  They also grant automatic preventive powers to ALL
geonames (unless narrowed by this group), such that an applicant might have
to get dozens of letters before they can move forward.

Requiring applicants to run a gantlet of governmental bodies who have been
granted not only a right merely for existing but a remedy that is already
invoked unless they actively move out of the way is distressing,
inconsistent with larger legal principles, inconsistent with permissionless
innovation, and creates a hierarchy without basis in fact or law.

Curative rights, on the other hand, don’t have any effect until they are
invoked by a challenger, and each challenger only represents their own
interests.  When invoked, there is no presumption in favor of the
challenger. The rights of the challenger vs. the applicant are evaluated on
a case-by-case basis.

I share your preference for curative methods.  However, there’s no basis
for grouping letters of non-objection with curative rights when they
function as preventive rights.

Best regards,

Greg