[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] (no subject)

Christa Taylor christa at dottba.com
Thu Jun 28 18:09:24 UTC 2018

Hello,

I'm sure there is a lot of big data resources available.  Below are a few
datasets that I hope provide some insight into what is available.

*	GNIS (Geographic Names Information Systems) has a list of ~250k
names along with a some features.
https://hifld-geoplatform.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/c19bfaccfc7c473d861db
bea1ce7aff0_0/data?orderBy=state_alpha
<https://hifld-geoplatform.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/c19bfaccfc7c473d861d
bbea1ce7aff0_0/data?orderBy=state_alpha&page=14> &page=14

*	Geonames is another resource http://www.geonames.org/

*	The UN looks like they also have a geospatial resource
http://un-ggim-europe.org/content/wg-a-core-data with a paper at
http://un-ggim-europe.org/sites/default/files/UN-GGIM-Europe_WGA_Recommandat
ion_Content-GN-v1.0.pdf

"This document aims to help decision makers (from governments, data
producers, national coordination bodies, etc.) to define their policy
regarding the improvement of existing data and production of new geospatial
data. It addresses digital data".

Big data is also used to create a lot of mapping functionality as another
resource i.e. Google maps.

If there is a list of some requirements/ideas that might be useful, I'm
happy to help in finding a dataset and if needed, putting the data into a
useable format so it can be reviewed to see it is fits our purposes.

Cheers,

Christa