[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Cities and Brands: further exploration

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Thu May 3 15:12:22 UTC 2018

Hi Liz,

I am mulling over this since Jan 2005 – and I think the answer is this:

Every city gTLD operator should decide for themselves how to make sure to NOT lose business to non-constituents of the place! Example: if you run .denver then the good people of Denver want obviously that .denver domains are SUPPORTING THE BUSINESS COMMUNTY OF DENVER! So you want to avoid that tires.denver is owned by somebody in Seoul or New York who merely redirects it to a tires.com affiliate page: that would lead to tire related business LEAVING Denver! It’s all about “local business” support. What you want is that tires.denver is in some way supporting the Denver tire business community. Makes sense?

Now if you think about Paris: Yes; people in Paris, Texas should be able to register as well in my mind. Not super difficult to handle.

Otherwise it is up to the registry operator to make a sufficient policy – and convince the city Government that the applicant is really a multi-stakeholder owned, funded and operated entity; rooted in said city and operating in the best interest of its constituents. The type of city gTLD operators will SIGNIFICANTLY change in the next round.

In a city gTLD operation you do NOT want to maximize registration volume – you want to maximize actual USE of domains by city constituents. The idea you brought forwarded is kind of thwarting that goal. Future city gTLDs will mostly NOT anymore be funded by VCs which need registration volume in order to recoup the investment. Instead many city gTLD applicants will be non-profits wholly funded by constituents within the city. The “investment” will not have to be recouped – it could be financed through sponsorships for example. The entire economics for city gTLDs will change DRAMATICALLY in the future. I am working on “Second Generation City gTLDs” since a few years already. A city gTLD should NOT be merely a “money cow” for “investors” – but a valuable infrastructure instrument that is significantly aiding a city to keep and reroute back online and offline  spending – among other things. We are talking about INFRASTRUCTURE – not registration volume.

Thanks,

Alexander.berlin