[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Conference call: city names

Carlos Raul Gutierrez carlosraul at gutierrez.se
Mon May 7 23:52:12 UTC 2018

Javier,

i have commented before on this Mike-Javier VERY interesting side track.
I think that there is a lot to learn, and to save and maybe slightly
improve in the (a) applications and (b) evaluations of the City
applications in the last round.

But I'm afraid that (c) the decision making process is either fatally
flawed in the last round and/or for the case of new GeoCommunities
ishould be moved to a different instance than the post-transition
new-private ICANN.....

Apart from the process view as per above, which seems to be the only
leitmotiv so far in the WT-5, i would like to add that in the end, the
major risk I see against an "open, globally connected, trusted and
secure' internet from this discussion, is that we keep adding
restrictions in the use of TLDs. Restrictions in applications,
restrictions in evaluations, but over all, _RESTRICTIONS IN USE
(INTENDED OR ACTUAL) OF TLDS_ may be very very dangerous for the
internets health.

By the way, i'm no lawyer in case somebody had failed to notice.

---
Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez

use the objection process if it had strong concerns with the application. Please correct if I have not stated this properly. Kind regards, Martin Sent from my iPhone On 4 May 2018, at 08:09, Martin Sutton <martin at brandregistrygroup.org> wrote:

>> That would seem to provide the National government the ability to have control over if/who/how a geo TLD could be operated by a local entity. It would not, however, have the

Links:
------
[1] https://www.linkedin.com/in/javrua
[2] https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/gcc-v-icann-2014-12-06-en