[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Conference call: city names

Vernatius Okwu EZEAMA vezeama at ourrightsng.org
Tue May 8 00:21:52 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I would like to express strong support for Jorge and Nicks comments raised
earlier in this thread. I also support Katrins comments on “intended use”
and the non-objection- letter. However caution must be taken.

Thanks and best regards,
Vernatius EZEAMA,
Our Rights

On Mon, May 7, 2018 10:44 pm, Carlos Raul Gutierrez wrote:
> [...]
>>> wrote:
>>>

>>> Dear Liz
>>>

>>> I guess that you mean that this is a good summary of the opinions
>>> expressed by some, but which do not represent those expressed by many
>>> others (e.g. Alexander, Kathrin, Nick, Giacomo, Marita, Yrjo, Nouar,
>>> Kavouss... and I).
>>>

>>> Let's leave these summaries to the co-leads. Otherwise we will have
>>> many different summaries.
>>>
>>> best
>>>
>>> Jorge
>>>

>>> ________________________________
>>>

>>> Von: Liz Williams
>>> <liz.williams at auda.org.au<mailto:liz.williams at auda.org.au>>
>>> Datum: 7. Mai 2018 um 02:00:49 MESZ
>>> An: Marita Moll <mmoll at ca.inter.net<mailto:mmoll at ca.inter.net>>
>>> Cc:
>>> gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5 at icann.org<mailto:gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5 at icann.org>
>>> <gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5 at icann.org<mailto:gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5 at icann.org>>
>>>  Betreff: Re: [Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Conference call: city names
>>>

>>> Hello everyone
>>>

>>> I am really pleased that this thread has yielded such a diverse set
>>> of perspectives.  I wanted to, if we could, try to wrap up some
>>> things that we may or may not have consensus on so that we can
>>> discuss that on the next call.  That might help the co-chairs and
>>> staff?
>>>
>>> 1.  We want to continue to have clear, objective and fact based
>>> policies associated with the assessment of all TLD applications.
>>> This, of course, includes geographic terms.
>>>

>>> 2.  We need to have clear application evaluation procedures that
>>> ensure that the ICANN Board, GAC, applicants understand exactly what
>>> their respective roles are.   In a multi-stakeholder environment, no
>>> one has primacy over another.  The GAC is very different from
>>> national governments and can only provide collective consensus advice
>>> to the ICANN Board.  The GAC has no operational role.  However,
>>> individual member governments may have different opinions about
>>> specific applications for TLDs.
>>>
>>> These two things are no different from what we had hoped would happen
>>> in previous rounds.  Where we have diverged is that the role of the
>>> Board and GAC and the ICANN organisation dramatically changed the
>>> implementation of the evaluation process for many applicants.
>>> Interference in the evaluation process was problematic and unfair as
>>> has been demonstrated in numerous examples.  We need to address that
>>> unfairness in implementation suggestions.
>>>
>>> For the next round, I would suggest that we, at a policy level, do
>>> not change 1 above.  However, we should have plenty to say on the
>>> implementation of those policies because, given the level of
>>> disagreement/misunderstanding/positioning, we are not in agreement.
>>>
>>> From listening to the discussion I think we have general consensus
>>> that
>>>
>>> 1.  Geographic terms are important for the next round of applications
>>> for many reasons which are consistent with ICANN's Mission and Core
>>> Values.
>>>

>>> 2.  That the expansion of "lists" of things is not an effective or
>>> useful or reliable way of determining what could be in or out beyond
>>> ISO 3166.  Expansion of the application of national law into the
>>> international realm of the domain name system is neither effective or
>>> appropriate.  We already have in place numerous elements which can be
>>> relied upon by applications and evaluators to fairly and predictably
>>> "treat" applications for TLD labels that may have geographic
>>> significance.
>>>
>>> 3.  We agree that governments  may be concerned with geographic terms
>>> but they do not own them or control or have a right of veto over an
>>> application.  Governments are legitimate applicants for geographic
>>> terms.  They are also legitimate objectors, like any one else, to