[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Conference call: city names

Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch
Tue May 8 04:16:23 UTC 2018

Dear David

ICANN has to act in conformity with applicable local law according to its Bylaws.

Brand rights are also basically local, but of a limited nature - to products/services in a specific category with the goal to avoid consumer confusion. There might eg exist hundreds of „lucerne foods“ in each country... in Switzerland there may be many such names with „lucerne“ as a part of their name.

But political communities with that exact name are more rare. And their rights on the name „as such“ are (in Switzerland and other countries) of a broad nature under civil right, as I have explained before. They are not limited to one specific category etc., not limited to commerce, not limited to avoid consumer confusion. Which is all logical as here what is at stake is not a commercial identifier but the identification of a political entity, with historic, social, economic, cultural aspects.

The DNS is global (and we want to keep it so). If one TLD is called „lucerne“ the laws on that name in Switzerland would apply...

Hope that these repeated explanations are clear to everyone by now.

best

Jorge