[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Conference call: city names

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Tue May 8 05:36:26 UTC 2018

Jorge,

Your explanation here does not accurately depict trademark law, to the
detriment of trademark owners and consumers alike. I don't have the time to
critique every sentence, but here are a few points.

It is highly unlikely that there would be even a few "Lucerne Foods" in a
given country; more likely there would be only one.  Trademark
registrations are, at the least, national in nature (not merely "local"),
and a trademark registration for Lucerne Foods (or for "Lucerne" for food
products) would almost certainly prevent any other entity from using or
registering that mark in that country.  "Common-law" (unregistered)
trademarks may be more limited geographically, but under US law, a
trademark registration confers "nationwide constructive use" on its owner.

Also, as explained before, while a trademark registration is issued for a
specific classes of goods and services (or subsets of those classes), the
rights prevent use of the same or similar mark for the listed goods and
services and any "related" goods and services.  Your explanation also
ignores the fact that many brandowners have registrations in multiple
classes and in multiple countries.  It's not uncommon for a trademark to be
registered in 60, 70 or even many more countries.  Similarly, it's not
uncommon for a brandowner to have registrations in 5 or 10 (or even 15-20
or more) of the 45 classes of goods and services.  I understand why you
want to minimize trademark rights in this discussion, but your depiction is
not accurate.

I don't think "rarity" is necessarily germane here, and you confer "rarity"
based on a flawed premise.  But if we do think there's something to be said
for "rarity," there will be many times this benefits brandowners or other
potential TLD applicants, and not the entity claiming the geographic term.

Luzern is free to apply for the TLD Luzern, and for the TLD Lucerne.  But
it does not get global monopoly rights.

Also, I think your interpretation of the "applicable law" provision of the
ICANN Bylaws is significantly incorrect.  It does not mean that ICANN must
simultaneously comply with every local law in the world.  That may be a
pleasing interpretation for you in the present circumstance, but I can very
quickly think of many unintended consequences when applied in any other
context, or even this one.

Best regards,

Greg