[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] "Intended Use" Discussion

Timo Võhmar timo.vohmar at internet.ee
Tue May 8 09:10:19 UTC 2018

Hi

I think that the difference between community and private/commercial TLD
should be at the level of ccTLD vs gTLD. Leaving the generics as free from
special requirements and exemptions as possible. But this requires higher
level approach than this WG is mandated for. So outside of the box
suggestion might be to drop the topic here and open up much bigger box to
discuss ICANN wide policy of different policies - differences between cc-
and gTLDs is there a need for third or fourth kind of policy type ie geoTLD
or is there any need for the separation at all.

In the lines of gTLD PDP I believe that local governments should have
priority over private interests ie each single community of Clinton should
have precedence over the interests of Mr and Mrs Clinton. But the question
remains how to determine the intended use and that the actual use coincide
with the initial intention or what to do if the intention has changed as
Liz pointed out and who should monitor that? I have a simpler thought -
community interest TLDs should be delegated to not-for-profit
organisations/foundations only. There are usually laws and legislation in
place to make sure that the org type is not misused and bodies like
competition authority to monitor that.

Best Regards,
Timo Võhmar